remastersys dead or alive???

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
podagee

Re: remastersys dead or alive???

Post by podagee »

i agree with fragadelic.you are a troll.
im assuming you are getting the broken pipe error which has to be do in su terminal.then input the wget for the key.i have made 2 backups for my mint 14 32bit cinnamon and for my 64bit mint 14 kde.if you are unfamiliar with remastersys then obviously you arent going to know how to work it.but all i can say is that it works.remastersys is a beautiful masterpiece for any debian-based distro.if only fragadelic,you could make an edition for windows 7.i dislike their backup.thank you fragadelic.forget what people may say,i really enjoy your contribution to the linux world.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

The biggest issue I come across almost all the time has absolutely nothing to do with remastersys and I tell them how to test it.

The issue is that they do not have the system setup for their default settings. This can be simply tested even without remastersys - just create a new temp user and see what defaults that user has by simply logging in and not clicking on anything else in terms of desktop environment - those are the system defaults and if that doesn't match what you want then you need to set the defaults properly. This is what will be the default for the live system.

podagee - thanks for your support.

I have working remasters of all desktops and window managers that I can test. Currently you can even download a beta version of remastersys for debian wheezy. What folks sometimes forget is that the underlying ubuntu base of mint doesn't always contain the proper scripts for live booting and setting up things like mdm but if it is released with Mint then it should be available in the mint repo.

Making a proper distribution is not a trivial thing and everyone thinks they can and should be able to do this. If you have enough knowledge of linux, debian, ubuntu and the command line then it is easily achieved even without remastersys but if you do not have all those requirements it can be a difficult and daunting task. Far too many folks blame remastersys for their shortcomings.

I have never claimed remastersys will completely setup your system for a live distro - this is the responsibility of the individual. There are far too many different window managers and desktop environments for me to even consider making customization stuff for, especially since there are other tools that already do that for you.
podagee

Post by podagee »

so is there any version for windows 7? i know its built on linux but it too would make a nice edition for dual-booters like me.
podagee

Post by podagee »

fragadelic,i have actually ran into major freezes with the backup.i tried installing and it doesnt move affter 3 quarters of copying files.so at the moment i wont be using remastersys
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Those are probably due to a network share mounted with gvfs since gvfs mounts everything in your home folder. You have to ensure that you don't have any network shares mounted or that you don't have any virtual machines or anything in your home folder. If you do, you should exclude them prior to remastering.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Forgot to mention. I'm in the final stages of testing and preparing the remastersys 3.0.4 version for Ubuntu that supports 10.04 up to and including 12.10.
podagee

Post by podagee »

Fragadelic wrote:Those are probably due to a network share mounted with gvfs since gvfs mounts everything in your home folder. You have to ensure that you don't have any network shares mounted or that you don't have any virtual machines or anything in your home folder. If you do, you should exclude them prior to remastering.
aw man thats what the dropbox kept popping up during running the live selection and installer.its ok now i know.thanks fragadelic.i will try again.
podagee

Post by podagee »

gonna try it right now with virtual-box and drop-box uninstalled.i'll let you know the outcome,probably by tomorrow.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

You shouldn't have to uninstall them, just don't run them and for the virtual box machines, move their virtual hard drives to /media while you remaster and then move them back.
podagee

Post by podagee »

okay ive tried it without dropbox and it went perfectly.alright now i got my backups corrected.thanks again.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

I just released 3.0.4-1 that fully supports ubuntu 12.10.

http://www.remastersys.com/forums/index ... pic=2845.0
podagee

Post by podagee »

hey fragadelic,remastersys keeps breaking my system and not installing the custom.iso it creates.i am on mint 14 kde x64.dont know what the problem is now,but,it aint working for nothing.the only thing it does is put my pc in grub rescue?please help with this.
oh and i recieved an update for remastersys earlier.i am using remastersys-gui
podagee

Post by podagee »

giving it another go this time from the terminal instead of the gui.i'll post in a few
podagee

Post by podagee »

failure after failure.nothing seems to work.it seems broken?while doing the terminal way it shows a bunch of missing files?some help
podagee

Post by podagee »

okay fragadelic,remastersys for mint kde x64 does not work with either precise or the quantal source.one last attempt i will make before i quit with remastersys.
podagee

Post by podagee »

thanks for the effort fragadelic,but,it just does not work.im done messing with it because it is very time consuming to uninstall,install,build,and erase.rip remastersys
podagee

Post by podagee »

good news i uninstalled mint kde x64 and installed ubuntu 12.10,erased everything and have only cinnamon as a desktop and remastersys worked.it seems 32bit works perfectly and not the 64bit.
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

I have remastered UGSR 12.04 and Ubuntu Studio 12.10 64-bit with outstandingly superb success.
Jessey Lawson
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jessey Lawson »

Since when did you have a forum and if so then why have I not heard about it. I am not a troll, I am a angry person who was tired of remastersys crashing his computer! No one wants to use a terminal who is in a hurry or new to linux! I also hate when people don't keep up to date on a forum. Why should I have to remember details for acounts for a piece of software that I don't like. Wine, playonlinux, wine forums, linux mint forums, gamester81 forums, pokeboard, pokecommunity, wikipedia, youtube, facebook, twitter, fanfiction.com, even if I did know of your forum why should I remember another user name and password. Relinux is much, better and I like it, you might not, but I do, so what we like is relative. Now if you don't mind I need to take some cough medicen to controle my feaver!
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for language.
halfnote5

Post by halfnote5 »

People like that guy are why people like fragadelic quit doing nice things for people.

Almost nobody ever bothers to come up to us developers and say "Thanks for all your hard work. I DO appreciate it, however, I'm having a problem..."

They'll call a program "trash" and "garbage" when, of course, they are completely incapable of making anything like it themselves. Oh? It doesn't do EXACTLY what you want it to do? Oh dear, well you have two options; ask nicely, or FIX IT YOURSELF.

In the case of Remastersys, I've recently poked around and found it's not that hard to customize the source, if you have a plain text editor.

So if it's such trash, either quit wasting your time b#t%hing about it, (and our time for having to read your impotent, bile-fueled drivel) or get off your arse and FIX IT YOURSELF.

Here's a freebie - the script is stored in /usr/bin

P.S. You didn't even mention your problem specifics, so, yeah, I'm guessing you don't really want us to help you figure it out. Happy coding, Jess.

Return to “Chat about Linux”