unable to connect to internet

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ksmr08

unable to connect to internet

Post by ksmr08 »

hi
I am new to linux world. I don't know abcd of it.

even then I want learn it through practicals.

I have a dell insperon n5010 laptop and yesterday I downloaded mint 14 from windows 7 platform.(i am using a usb modem) and created a bootable pen drive for mint.
it works well Ihave not installed mint on my hard disk.
Now I want to connect to internet with my modem. I tried several times with firefox browser but unable to connect to server. I opened the 'internet connections' on the toolbar (bottom) and activated the wireless connection. the signal is fine it says 'wireless connection?? connected' but I am not able to browse

pls tell me what i have to do ????

always it says 'unable to connect to server.......'

pls help me

tks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: unable to connect to internet

Post by caf4926 »

What usb device is it

Code: Select all

lsusb

inxi -F
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
ksmr08

Post by ksmr08 »

caf4926 wrote:What usb device is it

lsusb

inxi -F
hi

it is the data card.

I booted my system from pen drive. I wanted to check whether it connects to internet. if it works well I will install mint on my system. planning this I tried several times to connect to internet. But the signal is fine it shows 'connected' but not able to open any site on the browser it simply says 'unable to connect to server'
what to do ?????
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

I'm still not sure exactly what you are using.

But I'd probably look along the lines of IPv6 and or your DNS settings, you could try using Google's
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
ksmr08

Post by ksmr08 »

I am using the bootable pen drive which I created from windows 7 platform, to boot mint linux 14 to the system. now the system stars(booted). I connected my D-link modem with my Aircel sim. I don't know what to do further.I am new to the linux world. I opened the network( icon) it displays windows modem ( something I don't remember).I tried to open(run ) the modem it says unable to mount ... (something I dont remember) next I tried to open the firefox browser it says unable to connect to server (naturally without modem connection how it will connect) next I tried with the taskbar line (from the bottom line right side end) icon (network connections) I typed Aircel and clicked connect . IT SHOWED NETWORK CONNECTED I tried to connect internet with the browser it shows unable to connect to internet I don't know what to do further ???
tks
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

I don't know either
I am not familiar with the hardware you are using
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
gene

Post by gene »

Hi,

I had dialup modem working with successful connexn but no data traffic.
If you have similar situation; no data traffic, then see if you can make a /etc/resolv.conf file and put nameserver data there.
Not sure however if you can make this change to LM when running from an external device and unable to modify the OS.

see this link.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 91#p640391

cheers G
ksmr08

Post by ksmr08 »

hi
I am new to linux world
Iam using Dlink wireless modem (usb) with a sim card inserted in it
it is a mobile internet
it works well on windows 7
I am using hp probook (I have forgotten the number. rightnow I am in my office. my laptop is in my house )

I also wish to inform you these things.
My bother came to my place and connected wifi (on mint 14 platform)and he downloaded some software
I dont know. Then he connected my usb d link modem. it worked well.Again he connected his wifi and installed wine and other
softwares.
after all this I came to my house and tried to work with my d link modem.
It didnot connect. Again he came and tried somany things no use.
pls tell me some commands
i will reply with the result

pls help me
tks

Return to “Networking”