WIFI disconnects

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintWireless111

WIFI disconnects

Post by MintWireless111 »

Hello

I just installed Linux Mint 13 KDE and I have problems getting my WIFI connection to behave stable.

I can connect with my wpa password and use network for a short period. Between 2 and 10 minutes and then the connection is not usable anymore.

I then need to disable networking and enable networking again.

Then double click my wifi connection again and wifi connection can be used again.

I have tried disabling powermanagement for wlan0 but it still disconnect after a short period.

Any suggestions???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintWireless111

Re: WIFI disconnects

Post by MintWireless111 »

This is highly annoying and wifi works perfect with windows pc.
JackieRobinson

Post by JackieRobinson »

Hey mate,

Oh my god this is an annoying problem. I have the exact same problem. I tried a fix and it seems to of exended the time I can spend before it disconnects but the problem is still there.

If I disconnect and reconnect it works flawlessly but then finally disconnects after a while. I can't understand why but I'm sure the solution is simple.

I thought it was something to do with the power options disabling wifi connection after a while and I tried a fix which disabled that but it's still happening.
Cycledoc

Post by Cycledoc »

Same issue. Mint 13 on dual boot Dell XPS 502. Intel wireless card. Will work for a while then simply stop. Says there is a DNS problem.

If I turn the wireless off (the gadget on the panel indicates it's working) and then on, it work again. Windows 7 has no such problem.

Is there a simple fix to this? Quite annoying and makes me want to use the Windows side more.
Cycledoc

Post by Cycledoc »

Is anyone out there? This is a huge problem for some us. I'm not particularly computer savvy and would like some assistance. Wifi works fine and seems to stop. I then disconnect and reconnect and am back in business. I get about 5-10 minutes of working time before it stops. What's up with this. I was hoping the updates would fix, but so far the problem continues.

Linux mint 13 on Dell XPS 15.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please tell what wifi card you are using. Broadcom perhaps?

You could run inxi -N in terminal and post the output.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Feather

Post by Feather »

Hello all. I'm currently running Linux Mint 13 MATE/Xfce on a Sager NP7680 laptop and am experiencing the same problem. I recently switched from Windows to Linux and have briefly tried Ubuntu 12.04 and PinguyOS 12.04 prior to settling with Mint. I ran Firefox (both pre-installed and latest version) and Google Chrome on both of the previous distros and have concluded that the disconnection issue affects all three of the distros I've tried this week. As MintWireless111 described, my web browsers would suddenly stop loading pages ("Firefox can't find the server at ***", etc.) despite a strong wireless signal. I would then have to manually disconnect and reconnect via the network monitor icon on the panel to reload the web pages. Could this be a problem with Linux and its overall incompability with my wireless card? Not sure if I was supposed to start my own thread... :?

inxi -N Output:

Network: Card-1: Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300 driver: iwlwifi
Card -2 Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
driver: r8169
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ Feather: Please open a new topic. By the way you have Intel wifi so it's supposed to work well.
malch

Post by malch »

This is a bit of a long shot but... I had a similar problem with my Android smartphone which was resolved beautifully like this...

Go into your router/access point setup screens and look for a Wireless Multimedia (WMM) option. Turn it off!
jollyca

Post by jollyca »

Hello everyone,

My WiFi keeps disconnecting, too. The status says "Configuring network adapter". Also, it takes a few good minutes to connect to the network, and this whole time the status is "Configuring...". Anything I can do to speed things up? My controller is (according to inxi output):

Code: Select all

Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k 
@Feather - I have the same problem. Sometimes the whole wifi stops working although the icon shows it's connected. It takes about 30 secs to start working again.

Anybody knows how to fix this? It's getting really annoying...

Thanks a lot and have a good day.
mighalis

Post by mighalis »

Same problem here, linux mint 13 kde
Every 5~10 minutes wireless disconnects. Some times recconects, some times wireless go off.
I turn the hardware off and on again to start things up again.
tdrane

Post by tdrane »

Am having the same issues here, Sony VGN-NR220E, Mint 12 KDE. Seems to be the problem with all of the distros I've tried.

Am trying to get into the Brighthouse router to see if I can find the multimedia part and turn it off.

Issues there too. :x
mccat

Post by mccat »

Had same issues. Wi-Fi connection was hanging after 10-20 min, but indicator showed OK. After installing missing packages everything is back to normal.

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-source
sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-dkm
My system is mint-kde 13
wifi card:

mighalis

Post by mighalis »

I don't understand, what ndiswrapper has to do with ath9k. What packages were missing?

The problen has become very annoying, i have 1 min disconnections every 5 minuts!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

To anybody who has a bad connection with ath9k: Please try running this in terminal:

sudo sh -c "echo 'options ath9k nohwcrypt=1' > /etc/modprobe.d/custom-wireless.conf"
umang

Post by umang »

Hi,

I had the same problem. Going to Software Sources -> Additional Drivers and enabling the Broadcom Wireless driver fixed the issue for me.
kaidoe

Post by kaidoe »

Just for information, same worked for me as well.

Going to Software Sources -> Additional Drivers and enabling the Broadcom Wireless driver fixed the issue for me.

inxi -N

Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller driver: bcma-pci-bridge 
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Ok, in this topic we have had many different people having problems with very different wireless cards. In future please open a new topic if your problem is about a different wifi card than the rest of the topic.

Return to “Networking”