Mint 14 flash player problem..

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mibero

Mint 14 flash player problem..

Post by mibero »

Hey,

i have big problems with browsers when i use flash, like youtube.. or anyother.

I have try different things. Need really help! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint 14 flash player problem..

Post by xenopeek »

It would help if you would describe what your problem is. Firefox should work fine, but if you are messing about with other browsers and have tried to manually install a different version of Flash you may indeed run into problems. Please provide some more details as to which browsers you have tried and if you did any manual install of Flash versions other than the one provided by Linux Mint.
ith

Post by ith »

Dear Vincent, I have a fresh Mint 14 install and flash does not work. There is only a black rectangle, just as another user reports here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=119763

His solution. however, does not work in my case. Interestingly, after I installed Chrome in the hope Flash will work there, Chrome says "Flash plugin missing", even that chrome:plugins reports, that the Flash plugin is ok.

I have also removed ~/.mozilla (my home directory was from previous Mint install), but it also did not help.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Google Chrome browser has it's own built in flash
If you can't get flash with that, I suspect you have deeper problems

Firefox uses the mint packaged flash plugin by default, unless you install the adobe plugin post install, which will remove the Mint flash.
Mind you, either works for me.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
ith

Post by ith »

Hmm, I have one of those old computers, which require mint slide show to be removed, in order for the installer to work. The slide show made it impossible to install both Mint 13 and 14. Still, the system has 1GB of ram, Geforce 6200 and complex software works quite fine... mint slide show don't. I wonder, if flash has something to do with that slide show?

As I said, this is a fresh installation, so perhaps the deeper problems come from Mint/Ubuntu not quite supporting old systems :(
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

ith wrote:Hmm, I have one of those old computers, which require mint slide show to be removed, in order for the installer to work. The slide show made it impossible to install both Mint 13 and 14. Still, the system has 1GB of ram, Geforce 6200 and complex software works quite fine... mint slide show don't. I wonder, if flash has something to do with that slide show?

As I said, this is a fresh installation, so perhaps the deeper problems come from Mint/Ubuntu not quite supporting old systems :(
I suspect that with 1GB RAM, once the live system has loaded it's taking so much of that, that you have limited resources for the installer to run as well. One reason why ubuntu has a way to bypass the live session and just run the installer.
But once installed, if you use a desktop like Mate or XFCE without effects, you should be OK
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

Joining the fun here, folks! My single biggest frustration -- that Flashplayer! To the extent that I have tried using various different Linux distros. It all began when I paid for a movie on Amazon. No go. Either Linuxmint version, or three different versions of openSuSE,(11.4, 12.1 and 12.2), PCLOS, Mepis, Mandriva and Kubuntu. Here's the joke: I can and do run and watch the various movie trailers on Amazon but the full-length movie will not, always giving me the message about my browser or flashplayer needing to be updated! Nonsense! If trailers run fine then why not the film? YouTube works perfectly as do various other videos in whatever format.

On the same identical hardware, using WinXP, that movie works fine so it's obviously not the computer itself. I even followed Adobe's advice and placed the various flash files into the appropriate directories (folders, if you like), and logic would conclude that the problem is not in my system but right there, at Amazon! How else could it all be explained?

Solution: when I get that urge, I boot Windows, watch my favorite movie, then log out and go play in Linux again. End of frustration.

Merry Christmas, all!

HQ
ith

Post by ith »

caf4926 wrote:I suspect that with 1GB RAM, once the live system has loaded it's taking so much of that, that you have limited resources for the installer to run as well.
I temporarily borrowed 1GB from another box, and the problem with mint slide show persists. But it is probably explained - other people say, that the cause is an old GeForce card.
caf4926 wrote:One reason why ubuntu has a way to bypass the live session and just run the installer.
That sounds interesting, but in other threads it is written that you need to boot from usb, which I am not sure is possible in the case of my computer.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

That sounds interesting, but in other threads it is written that you need to boot from usb, which I am not sure is possible in the case of my computer.
You don't need to use a USB as an install source, typically it's done with a cd/dvd
If your machine is older, it's unlikely to support USB booting
I tend to use a USB myself, it run better in live mode and it's easy to use and it's quiet!
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Software & Applications”