Mint 14 KDE?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wyz

Re: Mint 14 KDE?

Post by wyz »

I doubt it will be released till the i386 version is ready..
Yes colyn I think you're right. When all four distros (KDE & XFCE, 32 and 64 bit) have been approved for stable release how long will it then take for them to hit the servers for us to download? Hours? Days? How long does it usually take?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

colyn wrote:
podagee wrote:fredg will have it ready before x-mas.i am awaiting its arrival also.anyone have the leak of where to download the stable?ive checked heanet and there is nothing yet.
I doubt it will be released till the i386 version is ready..
That's true, but considering 3/4 (including xfce) have been approved, I'll bet it's out around Christmas (+/- a couple of days). Unless there is a 32-bit specific problem, the i386 ISO should pass fairly quickly.
wyz

Post by wyz »

Podagee was right, Fredg came through and finished testing on the 32bit version of KDE. Give Santa Clem's elf a big Christmas bonus. I just checked a few minutes ago on the community site and it too had received approval for stable release. Yes! It shouldn't be long now. :D
podagee

Post by podagee »

the mint team is always on it,so, you can expect releases to be done on time.right now im running the mint 14 mate with cinn/gnome3/gnome classic/ubuntu/cairo-dock and i must say release 14 is awesome.im awaiting the kde so i could make my 3rd OS mint kde.alright
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Mint 14 KDE is beginning to hit the mirrors.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
podagee

Post by podagee »

thats funny....heanet only has the 32bit kde so far.waiting for the 64bit.havent ran a 64bit on my computer yet,so,kde mint 14 is going to be the first.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I think you're going to be very pleased. 8)
podagee

Post by podagee »

from 1.2 mb/s ---50.6 kb/s download speed.gotta love it.it should be worth the wait
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Just finished all my updates, nvidia driver and various other tweaks.
It just doesn't get any better than this 8)
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

I Downloaded the final version of Linux Mint 14 KDE. At present, I am writing from her. It's marvelous !!!! It really works well, smoothly. Only not the install, since the previous version is LTS, and the support is higher, but it really is very, very recommendable. Greetings. Congratulations to The Linux Mint Team !!!!
podagee

Post by podagee »

i have installed the 64bit version and man it is nice and quick.
water spirit

Post by water spirit »

A mirror over here. Change software sources to internode after installing, for fast update.

http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/linu ... -64bit.iso
Last edited by water spirit on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Thanks, water spirit :D
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

I have had KDE 14 64-bit installed for a while now. I have yet to find any flaws. This has to be the closest I have ever come to a perfect desktop OS. I am going to be very careful this time to not wander off the Mint farm too far. I know when I had 13 running I had all kinds of kernel and KDE PPA's setup. This kernel looks great. But I am tempted to fiddle with the KDE 4.10 PPA's. So this begs the question about official Mint KDE upgrades. Are the official repos going to move is into the 4.10 world or should we cross pollinate with Kubuntu again?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Rudemeister, I installed KDE 4.9.4 from a ppa repo but I have heard that 4.9.3 was available from the default repos. I did see where at least one community member has KDE 4.10 beta 2 installed but I believe he got it from a testing repo. Here is what I found on installing KDE 4.10.

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.9.90

I have already seen some posts on the Kubuntu forum about the 4.9.95 packages, witch would be beta 2. I would be interested in your experience if you decide to try the beta packages.

Keep in mind that KDE 4.10.0 is still under development and the final release will be some time in January.

Merry Christmas! :D :) :D
colyn

Post by colyn »

exploder wrote: I have already seen some posts on the Kubuntu forum about the 4.9.95 packages, witch would be beta 2. I would be interested in your experience if you decide to try the beta packages.
I just got the update to 4.9.95 yesterday and so far it is smooth as silk. I have not had any issues..
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I just got the update to 4.9.95 yesterday and so far it is smooth as silk. I have not had any issues..
Thanks colyn!
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I downloaded the torrent for 14, did the checksum, burned and verified a dvd as usual. Ran it live. This is I think my 8th live distro dvd. This is the first one where Firefox did not work, no network connection. Check settings and saw no mac address listed for cable modem. Maybe that's it. Did some random looking at programs etc. Opened Gwenview. All seemed pretty much the same except I could not access one folder I copied over from my old hard drive. One folder, 8 subfolders, maybe 1000 images. None accesible. Didn't write down the error. I quit there and did not install number 14. I'll try again some non- Christmas day.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I never liked live CDs or DVDs. They are a pain in the a$$. I have enough partitions so that I always install something, even to just try it.
I'll boot up the live disc just long enough to start the installer. Then if I don't like it, (which is almost always after using Mint KDE) no big deal,
I just replace it with the next thing I try. 8)
cavedweller

Post by cavedweller »

For those wanting to experiment with 4.9.95 it is still bugged especially when it come to screen locker. I've run it on openSUSE 12.3 m2 and Kubuntu 12.10. openSUSE actually ran it the smoothest. Kubuntu just bugged out. Sceen locker require a password even if it is not ticked in the settings and you have it set to use screen saver.

So I decided to just hibreed my system a little and installed Mint 14 KDE installed Kubuntu backports into my sources list and upgraded to KDE 4.9.4 and kernel 3.5.0-21. System is up to date and running like silk. I figure 4.10 can wait until RC2 or freeze for release.

Return to “Software & Applications”