Thanks for the replies.
The response from altair4 resolved a problem I was having with the swap file that I didn't know about. Thanks.
Unfortunately, altair4's suggestion didn't work, but I didn't give enough information. The particular situation I have is the Windows XP partitions are "vfat" rather than "ntfs". Even with simple minded modification I still get a failure. Since my directory is "fat32" perhaps linux needs another keyword in the /etc/fstab file. Perhaps the suggested information field that began with "defaults, ... " needs to change because it is not "ntfs".
After a lot of running around I have the following information/questions.
The problem seems to center on the provided mount point directory. When I use the GUI to do the mount, the system won't use these mount points but produces its own. The command "ls -l" identified the directory I produce as root:root where the usable one in owner:owner. A "chown" change doesn't help. The permissions were 766 in my creation but 700 in the usable ones. A"chmod" didn't help. The "ls -l" output also gives the next field after the ownership information as 4096 for my creation and 32768 for the usable directory. I don't know what this means or how to change/create it.