Install the old GTK2 Cassandra blue theme in mint13 MATE???

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Install the old GTK2 Cassandra blue theme in mint13 MATE???

Post by Doruletz »

Hi.
The main reason why I fell in love with Linux Mint, more than Ubuntu, was the Cassandra theme, especially for the very pleasant stripped background on the panels.
I combined that with the Oxygen icons, I also created some icons of my own, added a cool looking customised Cairo dock, an HTC clock, some Google Desktop Globes, and I instantly fell in love with me Linux desktop.
Ever since the stupid Gnome3 everything is going down the drain for me. Did anybody ever heard the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it??
Everything was so great in Gnome2, they just had to open up towards the tablet/smart phone look and feel with Gnome3 and Unity...
Now it hurts my eyes to look at the washout clearlooks themes or any strong color theme and I hate the stupid Mac greyish look with a passion.
So far, all GTK3 themes I could find fall into one of those categories....

So, my question is: Anybody knows a way to install the old Casandra GTK2 theme from Mint 9/10/11 under MATE in Mint 13??

Please help, I'm desperate.

A detailed step by step guide would be greatly appreciated.

Look here at a snapshot of my desktop and panel to better understand what I'm talking about:

My Mint 9/10/11 with modified Cassandra theme desktop snapshot:

My Mint 9/10/11 with modified Cassandra theme Panel detail:

In case for some reason you cannot see the pictures above, here are the links to my photobucket album:
Desktop snapshot:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk17 ... esktop.png
Panel detail:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk17 ... Detail.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
What do I think about Window$??? Just take a look at my AVATAR...
caribriz

Re: Install the old GTK2 Cassandra blue theme in mint13 MATE

Post by caribriz »

Hi,
This topic is a little old now, but if you're still interested ...
I had a go ... don't know if it's exactly the same, but it's got the striped panels and Cassandra theme installed in LM13 mate.
I copied some files from a full install of Linux Mint 10 gnome (but you can also copy them from a downloaded .tar.gz file - see end of post).
Screenshot.png
Short version:
From full install of LM10 (or 9) -
Copy folders Cassandra, Felicia, Murrine and Murrina-blue from /usr/share/themes .... to usb stick .... then copy to mate install /home/yourusername/.themes
Copy folder Felicia from /usr/share/icons .... to usb stick .... then copy to mate install /home/yourusername/.icons
Change theme to Cassandra in Control Centre > Appearance.

How I did it step-by-step:

Boot into full install of LM10. (you may be able to extract the files from a live cd or live usb, but I don't know how)
Plug in a usb stick to copy files to. Create two folders on usb stick "Mint 10 themes" and "Mint 10 icons".

In Mint 10 -
navigate to /usr/share/themes .... click on the folders "Cassandra", "Felicia", "Murrine", and "Murrina-Blue"
Edit > copy

Go to usb stick folder "Mint 10 themes"
Edit > paste

Go back to Mint 10 -
navigate to /usr/share/icons .... clicked on folder "Felicia"
Edit > copy

Go to usb stick folder "Mint 10 icons"
Edit > paste
Exit Mint 10 install.

Boot into Mint 13 mate -
plug in usb stick with copied folders > open "Mint 10 themes" folder .....
Edit > select all (the folders Cassandra, Felicia, Murrine, Murrina-blue)
Edit > copy

Go to your /home folder
Click View > Show hidden files .... if the folder .themes doesn't exist, then create it, then open it (note the dot before the name :wink: )
Edit > paste

Go to usb stick again > open "Mint 10 icons" folder
click "Felicia"
Edit > copy
Go to /home folder again ....View > Show hidden files .....
if the folder .icons doesn't already exist, create, then open it
Edit > paste

Control Center > Appearance ... both Cassandra and Felicia folders should be there
click Cassandra.
(The other folders are dependencies).

Hopefully, then you can tweak it further to look like your picture. I don't have a dock, or the oxygen icons. I assume you can add them in a similar way.

This worked for me, but try at your own risk. It might not be perfect ..... :wink:

Edit: I have completely rewritten the instructions I posted originally.
When I first tried it, I copied the folders as root into /usr/share/themes and the Felicia icon folder into /usr/share/icons.
This worked fine, but I tried it a second time, just copying the files to the folders in /home/username/.themes and /home/username/.icons (as above)
and it works just the same - and is of course, much easier. So apologies for any confusion to any early readers of this post ...... :lol:

Edit #2: If you don't have a full install of LM9 or 10 to copy the files from - I found all the relevant folders in this .tar.gz file which you can download and copy them the same as before from /usr/share/themes and /usr/share/icons in the .tar.gz file.
http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... .12.tar.gz

caribriz
Doruletz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Install the old GTK2 Cassandra blue theme in mint13 MATE

Post by Doruletz »

Great, I'll do just that, thanks a lot.
caribriz wrote:Hi,
This topic is a little old now, but if you're still interested ...
I had a go ... don't know if it's exactly the same, but it's got the striped panels and Cassandra theme installed in LM13 mate.
I copied some files from a full install of Linux Mint 10 gnome (but you can also copy them from a downloaded .tar.gz file - see end of post).
Screenshot.png
Short version:
From full install of LM10 (or 9) -
Copy folders Cassandra, Felicia, Murrine and Murrina-blue from /usr/share/themes .... to usb stick .... then copy to mate install /home/yourusername/.themes
Copy folder Felicia from /usr/share/icons .... to usb stick .... then copy to mate install /home/yourusername/.icons
Change theme to Cassandra in Control Centre > Appearance.

How I did it step-by-step:

Boot into full install of LM10. (you may be able to extract the files from a live cd or live usb, but I don't know how)
Plug in a usb stick to copy files to. Create two folders on usb stick "Mint 10 themes" and "Mint 10 icons".

In Mint 10 -
navigate to /usr/share/themes .... click on the folders "Cassandra", "Felicia", "Murrine", and "Murrina-Blue"
Edit > copy

Go to usb stick folder "Mint 10 themes"
Edit > paste

Go back to Mint 10 -
navigate to /usr/share/icons .... clicked on folder "Felicia"
Edit > copy

Go to usb stick folder "Mint 10 icons"
Edit > paste
Exit Mint 10 install.

Boot into Mint 13 mate -
plug in usb stick with copied folders > open "Mint 10 themes" folder .....
Edit > select all (the folders Cassandra, Felicia, Murrine, Murrina-blue)
Edit > copy

Go to your /home folder
Click View > Show hidden files .... if the folder .themes doesn't exist, then create it, then open it (note the dot before the name :wink: )
Edit > paste

Go to usb stick again > open "Mint 10 icons" folder
click "Felicia"
Edit > copy
Go to /home folder again ....View > Show hidden files .....
if the folder .icons doesn't already exist, create, then open it
Edit > paste

Control Center > Appearance ... both Cassandra and Felicia folders should be there
click Cassandra.
(The other folders are dependencies).

Hopefully, then you can tweak it further to look like your picture. I don't have a dock, or the oxygen icons. I assume you can add them in a similar way.

This worked for me, but try at your own risk. It might not be perfect ..... :wink:

Edit: I have completely rewritten the instructions I posted originally.
When I first tried it, I copied the folders as root into /usr/share/themes and the Felicia icon folder into /usr/share/icons.
This worked fine, but I tried it a second time, just copying the files to the folders in /home/username/.themes and /home/username/.icons (as above)
and it works just the same - and is of course, much easier. So apologies for any confusion to any early readers of this post ...... :lol:

Edit #2: If you don't have a full install of LM9 or 10 to copy the files from - I found all the relevant folders in this .tar.gz file which you can download and copy them the same as before from /usr/share/themes and /usr/share/icons in the .tar.gz file.
http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... .12.tar.gz

caribriz
What do I think about Window$??? Just take a look at my AVATAR...

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”