New to linux sortof

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: New to linux sortof

Post by Fred »

Very well put muskratmx.

Wesdog,

Welcome. We will try to help you as much as we can. Please try to remember though that we are all volunteers and we don't like to be abused anymore than you do. :-)

If you are patient with us, we will be patient with you.

Fred

EDIT: You can look at my post in the below thread in response to a similar issue, if you wish.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 29&t=10844
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Welcome to Mint
I must again say that muskratmx has sated it as it is, Mint (or any distro of Linux) is not Windows, things are done differently, not necessarily more complicated, just different.
As for the rude welcome from the Sabayon community, Sabayon is based on Gentoo, probably the most complicated Linux distro out. I had tried a distro called Arch, and was treated the same as you were on the Sabayon forum, and I'm an experienced Linux user, but the Mint forums are a much friendlier place, but making comments about if we say "You need to run a command line........" and you're gone, never to some back, is most definitely the wrong way to come into Linux, no friends will be won.
The only thing about your hardware that I see you may have ANY kind of a problem, would be the video card, it will run, but to get all the extras like desktop effects, you will have to do a little configuring, very easy to do with that card though, I have Mint installed on 2 of my home computers, a laptop, and a desktop, both using ATI cards, and I have done ALOT of research and experimenting with them, and have found a few different ways to get the proper drivers installed, all you have to is ask, and you will get help, but try not to be confrontational if you are told the you need to go to the console for something, it is a very powerful tool, that can be your best friend at times.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Welcome to Linux Mint!
Wesdog wrote:Of course since that distro had a french kind of feel to it maybe everyone was french and just naturally rude.

WesDog
The Creator of Linux Mint (Clem) is French, and he doesn't seem rude at all! :D
I think you generalize a little to heavy my friend! :wink: :twisted:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

Return to “Beginner Questions”