I need some help please.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Meads
Level 1
Level 1

I need some help please.

Post by Meads »

I have Linux mint installed on it's own hard drive on a partition of 100gb (it's a 500gb hd). I need to install Windows to do something with a sat receiver. I want to install Windows 7 alongside Linux Mint which is already installed, grub is installed too. What is the best way to apporach this with losing any data what so ever.?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: I need some help please.

Post by xenopeek »

The best way to do this is to boot from your Linux Mint installation ISO, and run GParted from there. Resize partitions as needed, and create a NTFS partition for Windows. If you don't first create an empty NTFS partition for Windows, the installer will just overwrite the entire disk.

Windows will overwrite the bootloader, so after installing Windows you won't be able to boot into Linux Mint. So, again boot from the Linux Mint installation ISO and follow these steps to reinstall GRUB: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot- ... _in_Ubuntu
Meads
Level 1
Level 1

Re: I need some help please.

Post by Meads »

xenopeek wrote:The best way to do this is to boot from your Linux Mint installation ISO, and run GParted from there. Resize partitions as needed, and create a NTFS partition for Windows. If you don't first create an empty NTFS partition for Windows, the installer will just overwrite the entire disk.

Windows will overwrite the bootloader, so after installing Windows you won't be able to boot into Linux Mint. So, again boot from the Linux Mint installation ISO and follow these steps to reinstall GRUB: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot- ... _in_Ubuntu
Thank you... it worked perfect. ;)

Return to “Open Chat”