Brightness on screen with Nvidia 7950GT

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cogitans

Brightness on screen with Nvidia 7950GT

Post by cogitans »

A couple of weeks ago I had kind of the same problem. My desktop was a little too bright to handle normal interaction with the user. So I tried to update my driver for Nvidia Gefore 7950GT. This was NOT easy. A kind supporter from this site guided me on how to install jockey-kde and fix the problem...well, it still wasn't easy as I had to do a clean install of Linux Mint and as the first thing after a fresh install I did an install of jockey-kde. THis fixed it.

But now the problem is kind of back. The screen is too bright now and I even tried all the different drivers in jockey-kde. I even modified the nvidia-settings so that I'm able to set each of the properties of the RBG. This new pane in the GUI is accessible after restarts. But the the custom settings has disappeared after a reboot.

As part of the troubleshooting I tried to delete and/or create a CONF-file which a lot of sites told me that it was importaint to have a fresh version of.
But again: the display is not acceptable!

My question is: is the best solution to do a backup of the system, format it, reinstall Linux Mint and restore settings? That'll take 10 hours and I'm not sure that I'm able to restore all my custom settings.
My second question is: can I somehow expect this procedure to repeat itself every 1 month?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cogitans

Re: Brightness on screen with Nvidia 7950GT

Post by cogitans »

By the way - this issue emerged after my harddrive had been filled up. Suddenly the desktop changed due to the low level of graphics.

Why the harddrive was filled up is still a mystery. I had Ubuntu Tweak installed but this program couldn't free up any diskspace. So I did a search online and installed BleachBit. I had to run this program as root (which couldn't be done through any menu - so I did it from the terminal) and THIS program did the trick. Suddenly I had 5-6 GB of free space on my primary harddrive. The space is shrinking again somehow though (?).

Anyway - some error from the filled up primary harddrive resulted in the problems regarding the graphics. But freeing up space again didn't solve the isue about the graphics.
cogitans

Re: Brightness on screen with Nvidia 7950GT

Post by cogitans »

Hmm, I was hoping that the lack of any answer was due to the holidays between christmas and the newyear. But I don't think that's the explanation anymore.

Anyhow - my computer is pretty much done doing the scheduled jobs that can't be done after a reinstallation. So my solution will be to make a backup through the buildin backuptool, do a complete reinstall and restore as much as possible (all my custom settings in the different configurationfiles in the systemdirectories will be lost, I guess :-( ).

I hope that a new reinstallation of Linux Mint will solve the problem(s)
(yet another reinstallation of this stable system, that is...)

Return to “Hardware Support”