Updates & Repository

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DiamondsAndRust

Updates & Repository

Post by DiamondsAndRust »

Hi,

I've been using Debian and Ubuntu for about half a year and just few days ago decided to try Mint (Daryna KDE CE). It installed alright, and I was quite impressed with its KDE style and speed. But then I edited /etc/apt/sources.list (changed the Ubuntu repository addresses to suit my country, all other parameters left the same -- even for those addresses, and I know they exist in that repo because I have Kubuntu on another partition). Then I made

Code: Select all

apt-get update
and

apt-get upgrade
. Kernel was replaced (so I rebooted) and Openoffice 2.3.0 was replaced with 2.3.0.1.

What I did not like was that OO lost all its Mint'y design and became Ubunt'ish, and worse -- it now has a color scheme, independant from the system, Win95-like, although in Tools-Options-General - Appearance everything is set to Automatic. I used a special tone for text background instead of white as it reduces stress on eyes, and I can't get it anymore in OO.

Was it wrong to make the update the way I did? Is there a way to fix the color & style problem in OO?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Updates & Repository

Post by Husse »

It is a problem and a blessing that Mint is a sibling of (or is correct english to?) Ubuntu
You have managed to mix the two and it's not quite easy to undo it
DiamondsAndRust

That's what I already thought ..:) But then there must have been a way NOT to mix the two. What is it? What is the correct way of configuring repos and installing updates?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well I'm actually not quite sure how you ended up that way
You should (read must) only have the repos for your version of Mint and the same generation in Ubuntu - i.e. for Daryna you should have Ubuntu Gutsy.
This should not "behave badly", unless apt-get upgrade is a "no go" but I don't see that
Kernel was replaced (so I rebooted) and Openoffice 2.3.0 was replaced with 2.3.0.1.
This should not happen....
Are you sure you only changed country in the Ubuntu URL in sources.list?
Pleas post the version you used when this happened.
DiamondsAndRust

Thanks for the reply. I'm not at home at the moment, though. But I know I really just changed the two Ubuntu lines in the sources.list of Mint. First, I compared them with the lines that were in the sources.list on the other partition were I have Kubuntu Gutsy. The differences were:

1. They had "lv." after "http://" for Latvia, so I put the "lv." in;
2. The Kubuntu sources.list had 4 lines, as it referred to universe and multiverse subsections separately from the main, while Mint had it all in 2 lines, but that doesn't matter, right?

Ok, when I'm home, I'll post both lists and other details if needed. Yesterday I took aptiude and purged all Openoffice packages but then I thought it was no point to download and reinstall them since I had made no change. Of course, I can try.

What version do you wish to know? Kernel? Mint itself? OO? KDE? apt?
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Why use OOO at all, why not use KOffice with all it's nice integration (full scale prewiev of all office files in Konqueror among others)...
Just my 2 cents...
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
DiamondsAndRust

Hm.. Until now I had an impression that OOo has much more functionality than KOffice. And I need that because I work quite a bit with texts.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

DiamondsAndRust wrote:Hm.. Until now I had an impression that OOo has much more functionality than KOffice. And I need that because I work quite a bit with texts.
It's worth giving a try!

apt install koffice* -y
CREA DIEM!

DiamondsAndRust

Ok, I'm now home. The versions were:

Daryna 4.0 CE KDE [the DVD edition]
linux-image 2.6.22-14.46 (generic) [was replaced with 2.6.22-14.52]
kde 3.5.8-0ubuntu2.1
Openoffice.org 2.3.0-1ubuntu5 [was replaced with 2.3.0-1ubuntu5.3]

The two lines I changed in sources.list now read as follows:

deb http://lv.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://lv.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu gutsy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
Husse

Post by Husse »

What exactly do you mean by
Kernel was replaced
DiamondsAndRust

I'm not sure whether "replaced" is a correct way of saying it, but what happened was that the new linux-image package was downloaded and installed, and a new line was added in grub menu.list, so I can boot both with a new kernel version or the previous one if the new crashes.
DiamondsAndRust

Just did that. After update, apt no longer finds openoffice packages.
muskratmx wrote:
When we use multiple repos, sometimes were not sure where they are going to come from, and in the case of Mint Open Office, it does make a difference.
Should not apt pinning or smth like that be done before using repos from other distributions?
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK Iwas not aware that a new kernel existed.
This explains why you should use mintUpdate - it sorts out some updates that are not that good to get - like a kernel
DiamondsAndRust

Ok. So I had to use mintUpdate instead of apt-get from CLI. But now I have purged my OOo. How do I install it anew? mintInstall doesn' t offer me OOo (no such packages in Software Portal), so I will have to use some of the common CLI or KDE tools, and they will take OOo from Ubuntu with the same results.
Husse

Post by Husse »

A few posts up
Then comment out the Ubuntu repos and do a "apt-get update" then "apt-get install" OO again, and you will get it from mint.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

This is the exact reason I never do an "apt-get upgrade", it will grab the newest software and kernel, and those are usually from Ubuntu, and overwrite what you had, hence the situation you are now in.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

I only use Mint's own update, saves me a lot of headache.
CREA DIEM!

MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

It sounds like you have "semi upgraded" to 8.04, I've seen they advertise for that in the Ubuntu updater now, that's probably why you don't get the Mint OOo theme. IIRC Ubuntu doesn't update the kernel "within a version", they only offer patch's and hacks to close security holes.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”