Can't set Adobe Reader as default application

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

Can't set Adobe Reader as default application

Post by mfreeman »

As much as Adobe Reader stinks, I really need to use it more than the open source alternatives, mostly because it's the only one that can organize separate documents into tabs under one window, which none of the others I've tried can do. I have to work with multiple pdf documents constantly, and tabs are really the only sane way to do it.

Anyway, I've recently installed Mint 13, and when installing acroread, it didn't ask if I wanted to set it as the default application like it did in older Mint versions. It is not showing up in file.pdf [right click] -> Properties -> Open with tab. It's not listed in Recommended Applications, and it's not showing up in the list when I click "Show other applications". This new nautilus doesn't seem to allow me to enter a custom command like it used to in older Mint versions (Shameful regression there, Gnome!).

I tried just opening it through Adobe Reader, after which it is in the file.pdf [right click] -> Open with list. However, it is still not in the file.pdf [right click] -> Properties -> Open with tab, so I cannot set it as the default application to open the files when I double-click them.

Any simple way around this nasty flub in Mint 13?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pedrogplm

Re: Can't set Adobe Reader as default application

Post by pedrogplm »

Happens exactly the same to me... don't have a clue why this can be happening =/
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nick Payne »

Same here - I've installed Acroread through Synaptic, but can't make it the default application for opening PDFs. As I deal with a lot of PDF portfolios, Acroread is the only option for opening them, so it's a PITA to have Evince as the default app.

In Nautilus, when I look at the "Open With" tab of the properties dialog for any PDF, Acroread is not listed as one of the possible applications to use for opening PDF files.
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nick Payne »

Ok, the fix for being able to make Adobe Reader the default app for opening PDFs is:

1. Open the desktop file for acroread in an editor:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /usr/share/applications/acroread.desktop
2. Find the line that says "Exec=acroread" and change it to "Exec=acroread %f"

3. Save the changed file.

4. Open Nautilus, right-click on a PDF file and select "Properties", go to the "Open With" tab, select Adobe Reader 9 and click the "Set as default" button.

You should now be able to open a PDF in Adobe Reader by double-clicking on the file in Nautilus.
altos

Post by altos »

I had the same issue, but my fix was simple enough - I uninstalled the default document viewer for MATE (atril, which I have no use for), and Adobe Reader automatically became the default viewer when I double-clicked a PDF file.

Peace.
martywd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by martywd »

I know this is somewhat OT but just a reminder that there are security issues with acroread, especially on the *nix side.

==> https://lwn.net/Articles/511797/rss

FWIW. Lately I've found 'evince' (http://projects.gnome.org/evince/) to be much improved for opening and viewing .pdf 's on LinuxMint 13 Maya / MATE (32-bit).
Jon N

Post by Jon N »

Goto System Settings>File Associations>Applications. Then scroll down to PDF, and click on it. It will give a preference order on the right. Move the Adobe reader to the top, then press the "apply" button on the lower right. When you start a PDF again, it shoutld default to Adobe Reader! I hope this helped! :)
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e »

Jon N wrote:Goto System Settings>File Associations>Applications.
Where is 'System Settings'?
carlnielsen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlnielsen »

@Mik3e - Menu.. Preferences... System Settings (but you probably got that by now).

Everyone - I am stumped on this one. I need to set acroread as the default for handling pdf files. As others have noted, although "Open with Adobe Reader 9" is available as an option when right-clicking a file, it is not in the list of options for adding as the default. I don't seem to have an acroread.desktop file anywhere.

running LMDE 64-bit, if that makes a difference.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

carlnielsen, suggest you open a new topic in the LMDE section of the forums. This section is for Linux Mint Main Edition.
cluelesscoder

Post by cluelesscoder »

Note that when Jon N talks about System Settings->File Associations, he's probably talking about KDE which has this menu. KDE seems to make it easier to configure default file associations. I commented on this over at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 50#p649250 ("[SOLVED] How to set default programs/applications?").

UPDATE: As I mentioned in the thread cited in the paragraph, Nautilus (I guess) sometimes HIDES FILE EXTENSIONS. So you might not see the .desktop at the end, but it is there, and so to open these .desktop files in /usr/share/applications you need to add the .desktop to the end - ie, gedit acroread.desktop rather than gedit acroread.
carlnielsen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlnielsen »

Solved... new eyes this morning and I discovered that on my system the file I wanted was AdobeReader.desktop in /usr/share/applications.

Not sure why mine is AdobeReader.desktop whereas others mention acroread.desktop. But anyway, adding the %f sorted it out.
josephpmh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by josephpmh »

Thanks, Nick Payne. That fix worked.
Spinnekop

Post by Spinnekop »

Didn't quite work for me.... However, when I renamed AdobeReader.desktop to acroread.desktop it worked like a charm!
Reteip

Post by Reteip »

I found that by installing Adobe reader using apt-get, I was given the option to make it the default reader.
Select yes and your done!
laforey

Post by laforey »

I solved by: Install acroread.
Open "/usr/share/applications" in Nemo File Browser(open as root).
Right click Adobe Reader, select "Properties".
In "Command:" change to "acroread %f"
Close
Right-click your PDF file, select Properties.
select "Open With",If "Adobe Reader" does not appear, select "Show other applications".
select "Adobe Reader" from the list , select "Set as Default". then "Close".
The next time you open a PDF file, Adobe Reader should open it.
sirfmoyo

Post by sirfmoyo »

laforey wrote:I solved by: Install acroread.
Open "/usr/share/applications" in Nemo File Browser(open as root).
Right click Adobe Reader, select "Properties".
In "Command:" change to "acroread %f"
Close
Right-click your PDF file, select Properties.
select "Open With",If "Adobe Reader" does not appear, select "Show other applications".
select "Adobe Reader" from the list , select "Set as Default". then "Close".
The next time you open a PDF file, Adobe Reader should open it.

thanks, it work like magic for me 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Software & Applications”