Entertainment computer with television monitor

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
giantcat

Entertainment computer with television monitor

Post by giantcat »

Hello. We have recently rebuilt our entertainment computer and changed it from XP to Mint. So far we are more than pleased.

However, whenever we reboot, something in Mint decides to adjust the screen resolution automatically from what it was, 1280x768, the maximum VGA resolution for our television. So we need to then hook up one of our monitors to the computer, set the correct resolution, then reconnect everything.

We need assistance on either command line resolution changes (because switching to one of the tty shells works) or setting a default resolution for each boot and each login. xrandr doesn't work because the 'monitor' is not a recognized monitor (i.e. a Panasonic television).

Thanks for any ideas.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
giantcat

Re: Entertainment computer with television monitor

Post by giantcat »

Hello again. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? All I need is the correct command so that I may build a script that fires on boot to set the resolution from what Mint thinks it should be to what it actually should be.

Or, is there a way to tell Mint to not overthink the boot and not change the resolution?

Thanks.
giantcat

Post by giantcat »

No one here knows how to add a resolution and set it?
speeder1987
Level 1
Level 1

Post by speeder1987 »

There may be a resolution line in the xorg.conf file (you'll have to check as I'm not near my computer)

Type:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

See if there is a line in there which specifies the resolution. If not then sorry I can't help

Cheers
John

Return to “Beginner Questions”