AVG Free

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

AVG Free

Post by iironjade »

I have AVG Free installed and I'm baffled as to how to update it. In Vista the auto update can be left to its own devices but Mint says I don't have permission to update it and auto update doesn't seem to work.
Can it be updated or is it a waste of time having AVG at all? :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
Fred

Re: AVG Free

Post by Fred »

iironjade,

In my opinion, running any anti virus, with the current state of the Linux world, is a waste of resources. The only reason I can think of for doing so is to help protect your fellow Windows users.

I do recommend you run your firewall, iptables, properly configured. You can use either Firestarter, (Gnome), or Guarddog, (KDE), to configure it to your needs.

Fred
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

Fred wrote:iironjade,

In my opinion, running any anti virus, with the current state of the Linux world, is a waste of resources. The only reason I can think of for doing so is to help protect your fellow Windows users.

I do recommend you run your firewall, iptables, properly configured. You can use either Firestarter, (Gnome), or Guarddog, (KDE), to configure it to your needs.

Fred
You may well be right but I was curious to see how it could be done (if at all). As any antivirus app depends on up to date definitions, I'd expected the update to be routine, even if not automatic.
The constant updating of such apps on Vista always makes me think I've forgotten to do something when using Mint. :)
Fred

Post by Fred »

iironjade,

I don't know about AVG Free, I have never used it, but ClamAV has an option that enables automatic updates in the background. It just takes care of itself without user intervention. I would imagine AVG Free does also.

Fred
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

That's what I'm beginning to think. Maybe AVG are trying to make it idiotproof. Thanks for the idea. :)
rmuccioli
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rmuccioli »

This works...

Rught Click on Elyssa -> edit menu" To launch the menu editor.

Find the AVG entry in Accessories. Right click its entry and select Properties.

In the "Command" box add gksudo to the beginning (ie. make it look like this "gksudo avggui")

Click on close for the AVG option then the same for the menu.

You will be now prompted for your password when necessary as AVG will only run with your password being supplied

And it works.....
Linux rules! Vista you know?
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

rmuccioli wrote:This works...

Rught Click on Elyssa -> edit menu" To launch the menu editor.

Find the AVG entry in Accessories. Right click its entry and select Properties.

In the "Command" box add gksudo to the beginning (ie. make it look like this "gksudo avggui")

Click on close for the AVG option then the same for the menu.

You will be now prompted for your password when necessary as AVG will only run with your password being supplied

And it works.....
Absolutely right. If a program doesn't have permission to do what you need it to do all that is required is for you to run it as root.

Return to “Software & Applications”