How to get MINT to see MORE RAM!

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xwin78
Level 1
Level 1

How to get MINT to see MORE RAM!

Post by xwin78 »

I recently upgrades my RAM and now have a total of 4 GB. I know about the x86 hardware limitation, but my system still only shows 2 GB of RAM! What do I need to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
live for what you'd die for
xwin78
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to get MINT to see MORE RAM!

Post by xwin78 »

I can see the extra ram in a windows xp 32.

Here is my system:

ASUS p5B-deluxe (Intel p965)
Intel XEON E3110 @ 4.0 ghz
4 GB OZC PC2-6400
Nvidia 8800 GT 512
Creative X-fi (BUMMER, STILL NO LINUX SUPPORT)

I am sure this is not a mint only issue it is 1st of all an x86 hardware issue, but I have read that 32-bit Linux can address up to 4 GB of RAM

Thanks for any help
xwin78
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xwin78 »

Thanks for the help! I have not tried any of the help form the above listed post as it was mostly from the last UBUNTU build. Interestingly enough my 4GB configuration (4 x 1 GB ) would only show 2 GB in mint, as i said before, but i swapped the 4 x1 GB for 2 x 2 GB and now mint shows 3 GB. I don't have an answer to this on...I'll keep figuring..and hopefully will have it fixed before Ellysa.

any other help would be great!
Fred

Post by Fred »

xwin78,

After reading through the posts, especially your last post, I feel reasonably confident in saying that it is a compatibility issue between the proprietary mobo firmware drivers and Linux.

I would look and see if you can find any firmware or mobo documentation that mentions Linux compatibility errata and work arounds.

Fred

Return to “Hardware Support”