Canon Pixma MG5350 scanner problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gewitty
Level 2
Level 2

Canon Pixma MG5350 scanner problem

Post by gewitty »

I'm running Mint 12 and just installed a Pixma 5350 multifunction printer/scanner. I already had TurboPrint installed, so the printer side of things works just fine.

My problem is that I can't get Xsane to recognise the scanner. I've connected the printer/scanner via USB and downloaded and installed the Cannon ScanGear MP Ver. 1.8 Deb file. However, this doesn't seem to have got anything working, since Xsane still can't find the scanner.

Has anybody found an answer to this one?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Canon Pixma MG5350 scanner problem

Post by nomko »

Turboprint is just a printer driver and you need a driver which fully supports your device. Did you installed the correct drivers from this site: http://support-au.canon.com.au/P/search ... g_os=Linux? here's another solution i found: http://askubuntu.com/questions/82337/ho ... er-working.
gewitty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gewitty »

Yes. As I mentioned in my post, I have already downloaded and installed the Cannon ScanGear MP Ver. 1.8 Deb file.

Although ScanGear doesn't appear in the programs menu, I have just spotted that the MG5300 is listed as a scanner in GIMP, where it works perfectly using ScanGear, even though Xsane still doesn't recognise it.

I'm not sure what the reason for that may be, but at least I can use the scanner now.

Thanks for the help.
ozdroggy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ozdroggy »

gewitty wrote:Yes. As I mentioned in my post, I have already downloaded and installed the Cannon ScanGear MP Ver. 1.8 Deb file.

Although ScanGear doesn't appear in the programs menu, I have just spotted that the MG5300 is listed as a scanner in GIMP, where it works perfectly using ScanGear, even though Xsane still doesn't recognise it.

I'm not sure what the reason for that may be, but at least I can use the scanner now.

Thanks for the help.
I am in exactly the same situation but with different scanning apps. With my original Printer/Scanner [EPSON Stylus Photo RX510] I have been using gscan2pdf for OCR and other major work and Simple Scan for 'quick hit' jobs.

I have 100% success with GIMP Image Editor -> File -> Create -> ScanGear MP... using both the USB connection and the Wireless connection BUT neither gscan2pdf nor Simple Scan can find a scanner. "No devices found"/"No scanners connected".

FWIW - the printer side is 100%.

I have a dual boot system with Win8 and Mint is my default boot.

Any help in overcoming this glitch would be greatly appreciated and a good start to the New Year :lol:
Mike.

Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 21.1 Vera 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-72-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0

Hardware
Memory: 3.8 GiB
Processor: Intel(R) Core i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz x 4

System Status
Available disk space: 299.8 GiB

Return to “Hardware Support”