cant find compiz.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
misswham

cant find compiz.

Post by misswham »

i downloaded compiz and i cant find it. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sheepgazer

Re: cant find compiz.

Post by sheepgazer »

Try this in a terminal session.

Menu > Terminal

Locate

Code: Select all

whereis compiz
Output
compiz: /usr/bin/compiz /usr/lib/compiz /usr/bin/X11/compiz /usr/share/compiz /usr/share/man/man1/compiz.1.gz

Launch?

Code: Select all

compiz &
viking777

Post by viking777 »

If you are looking for some gui to interact with compiz you need to install compizconfig-settings-manager.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

This might be a little simple, but Compiz is not compatible with every desktop out there. Post some more details on what you have installed.
misswham

Post by misswham »

I have a sony vaio all in one with an nvidia GE FORCE GT240 graphics card. I have never been able to use compiz or cairo dock since helena 8. When I try to use compiz or dock, when I restart, I always have gotten a black screen or my desktop goes crazy and I have to reinstall the distro. I liked linux because I could tweak the OS. I have tried in mint 12 (all distros) 13 all distros now 14 and Im getting the same results. I have done this on 3 different pcs and I went and bought this pc last wk thinking that it would be fine and yet the same thing. So I left compiz alone and went 2 cairo dock. Got it working fine and as soon as I restarted the computer, I got the default screen with no panels and all of my files were gone and this was just with cairo dock. I have reinstalled mint14.1 3 times in one day trying to do this.

Should I go back to Ubuntu to be able to use cairo and compiz again? Everything worked fine in helena mint 8 but after that nothing.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

If you're using Cinnamon, DON'T install Compiz. In MATE and Xfce you can.
And don't go back to Helena, you'll get very outdated softwares.
misswham

Post by misswham »

Im using mate 14.1 and thats whats happening.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

I don't know why it doesn't work for you. On Maya MATE I installed Compiz as guided in this tutorial http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/919 and it worked perfectly.

Return to “Beginner Questions”