Help needed with the black art that is Video encoding!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Help needed with the black art that is Video encoding!

Post by Hexeta »

I'm running a PC with Vista Ultimate, and another with Mint 9LXDE.
I've exported a video from my PVR to the Linux machine via USB it is named (by the PVR) as "Carols from Kin_2012112318142701.ts" and plays OK in both VLC and Gnome players.

Wanting to split the individual carols into seperate videos, I used the "Record" facility in VLC.
This results in long unwieldy file names terminating in ".ts.ts"
I have re-named these with just the Name of the carol appended with ".ts" (no numbers).

These snippets wouldn't play in VLC either before or after I re-named them!
They would however play in Gnome player, though any attempt to progress the slider through the track just results in it starting again from the beginning.

Transferring this work to my Vista PC, Media player recognises and plays the original file from the PVR, but rejects all of the snippets as not being a recognised codec.

Attempting to transcode the snippets to MP4 (for my iPad) I tried to use "WinX HD Video Converter DeLuxe", which promply crashes each time I load one of thes files before I ask it to start transcoding!

"Any Video Converter", however does transcode them, but the audio is out of sync.

Thought I might be more successful with "Handbrake", but I've no idea how to install it on my Mint 9LXDE machine.

Found these two links, but I'm not clever enough to understand if I can use this software, or if I would be capable of even installing it!
Can anyone help me? :roll:

Sorry it's such a long post, but best that you have all the facts!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Therion87

Re: Help needed with the black art that is Video encoding!

Post by Therion87 »

.ts is probably pushing MPEG2 .ts is just the wrapper for the stream. You lost the seek ability when you took away the .ts after the second record since the seek info is carried in the .ts wrapper. You need to transmux or demux it before you transcode it. ffmpeg will do this.
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

This is what I was worried about.......
I've really no idea what you have tried to explain to me!
I've been told that ".ts" is a wrapper or container for some thing else some time back when I was trying to tempt "Serviio" to play some of my video clips on my Sony TV, fortunately, the Serviio forum guys worked their magic and I can now see almost anything on my TV...........it even plays these clips, to my utter amazement and respect!
Therion87 wrote:You lost the seek ability when you took away the .ts after the second record since the seek info is carried in the .ts wrapper.
Found a file in the bin which when restored plays in Gnome but not VLC.
The system given filename is "vlc-record-2012-12-26-02h-29m-20s-Carols from Kin_2012112318142701.ts-.ts"
If it was a wanted file I would have re-named it as perhaps "Silent night.ts"......which it seems totally trashes it!

This bit has me utterly confounded!
Therion87 wrote:You need to transmux or demux it before you transcode it. ffmpeg will do this.
Can you explain? :shock:

Just realised I never posted the links I referred to in my first post.
Here they are:-
http://tuxtweaks.com/2012/07/install-ha ... x-mint-13/
http://zanuf.wordpress.com/2012/02/29/h ... 0-9-6-5-2/
Therion87

Post by Therion87 »

ffmpeg -i input.ts -vcodec copy -sameq -acodec copy -f matroska output.mkv

that should work for you. That will get you an .mkv file that could be transcoded or you could make it avi or whatever you need. Read the ffmpeg man page it is an incredibly powerful program.
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

Therion87 wrote:ffmpeg -i input.ts -vcodec copy -sameq -acodec copy -f matroska output.mkv
I think you are over estimating my intellect here!
I've just put that into Google and it comes up with references to Handbrake and Handbrake portable.
which brings me back to my original question,...........how do I install handbrake on my Linux Mint 9LXDE machine?

After I've achieved that, I think I'll be in dire need of help in using it!
I hear it's, shall we say rather "user unfriendly"! :lol:
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

Wow! Thanks for that, I notice that it was written 2 years ago.
Is it still the nightly development version, whatever that means?
And is it still likely to be as risky as he warns? :mrgreen:
Therion87

Post by Therion87 »

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-snapshots

Using that repository instead of the snapshots repo will give you stable releases instead of the nightlies :)

Return to “Sound”