Mint 14 xfce the worst ever release

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintman112

Mint 14 xfce the worst ever release

Post by mintman112 »

This has to be the worst ever mint release i have seen problem after problem if you manage to get it to boot properly you are lucky and when it does boot sometimes the sound doesnt work why do the develpoers insist on doeing so many releases they do the rich mans release's which is cinnamon and mate and kde and then the supposed light xfce.

Why not just satisfy your whims with a rich mens release then do a poor mans release Lxde which would be far better than this abomination its total garbage.
I thinks its now a case of people trying to do flashy things insted of doing things simple and as for xfce beating lxde in your opinion polls we all no they can be how do i put it FUDGED just like on distrowatch im fed up its meant to be the best but all you get is problems.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Adelante

Re: Mint 14 xfce the worst ever release

Post by Adelante »

I like LXDE, too, but LM 14 Xfce is working perfectly on my computer. Really, if you like LXDE, use LXDE. Lubuntu, Peppermint and WattOS are great choices. Banging on a system you don't like doesn't seem like a good use of time to me.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

What's all the hubbub .... Bub?

If you are a non english speaking user then some things can be excused although I would like to point out that you are posting in the support section of the forum and you have not as yet asked for any.

If you are an English speaking person I would suggest using a period to end one thought and begin another. They look like this: "." It's so common in the written language that it can be found at two different locations on the standard keyboard.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
aac74

Post by aac74 »

Rich man's release ? I assume you are using very old hardware ?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Every time there is a new release issued, it is either free from most problems or plagued by many: Mint 14x is probably the latter, although I seem to remember 13x being similar
--and the issues get fixed or answered by the amount of posting to the support forums.

If it is a release plagued by many issues such as bad boots, that tends to get answered quickly: due to the amount of complaints generated (just as you would expect..)

If you ask a specific support question, you may get some direct help..
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

Well, I guess what we have here is another case of "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." :roll: I also like LXDE, but since using Xfce, I've learned that it can be almost as lean and mean as you want to make it. I'm neither a noob nor a Linux power user, but I installed LM 14 Xfce and my favorite apps on my laptop yesterday, and tweaked what I wanted to tweak--all within a couple of hours--and have experienced no problems at all, including watching a Netflix film via WINE! :lol:

Adelante is right about using an LXDE distro if you don't like Xfce, or you can try one with Openbox such as CrunchBang. But if you prefer something more challenging, there's always Arch.... :twisted:
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

While a rant may make one feel better it often does nothing to address underlying problems. I fear that this might be the case in this situation.

This has to be the worst ever mint release i have seen problem after problem

That is sad for you but it is not the case for everyone.

if you manage to get it to boot properly you are lucky and when it does boot sometimes the sound doesnt work

That is sad for you but it is not the case for everyone.

why do the develpoers insist on doeing so many releases they do the rich mans release's which is cinnamon and mate and kde and then the supposed light xfce.

Because they do the work and so they get to make the calls? When you do your own release you will get to make your own calls.

Why not just satisfy your whims with a rich mens release then do a poor mans release Lxde which would be far better than this abomination its total garbage.

Everyone gets to have an opinion and present it anyway they want.

I thinks its now a case of people trying to do flashy things insted of doing things simple and as for xfce beating lxde in your opinion polls we all no they can be how do i put it FUDGED just like on distrowatch im fed up its meant to be the best but all you get is problems.

So where is your proof?
aac74

Post by aac74 »

fallacy of faulty generalization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

altair4 wrote:If you are an English speaking person I would suggest using a period to end one thought and begin another.
Correct spelling also helps others to determine what those thoughts might be.

PS: altair4, have you located any living Krell ?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Post by 3.14159 »

Flemur wrote:
altair4 wrote:If you are an English speaking person I would suggest using a period to end one thought and begin another.
Correct spelling also helps others to determine what those thoughts might be.

PS: altair4, have you located any living Krell ?
"Living Krell" is just crazy talk.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Well, I don't have experience with 14 Xfce ... with the hardware I installed mint on I need the lts version ... but I wasn't impressed with mint 13 Xfce. At all. It's flaky and very, very slow for xfce. It doesn't even really look like xfce, which I have running on 2 other laptops. If I had known it uses debian instead of ubuntu I wouldn't have installed it in the first place.

So I installed the mate version ... don't get me wrong, I like mint. That works much, much better. But it's still slow. Slower than windows 7 starter ( :shock: ). And, yes, I reduced the swappiness.

My solution? I installed xfce 4.08 on the mate version with synaptic. Better. Much better. It has the speed it should. I highly recommend it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Maybe I'm the confused one, but Mint Xfce 13 and 14, both, are based on Xubuntu, no?
Last edited by Adelante on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Hoser Rob wrote:Well, I don't have experience with 14 Xfce ... with the hardware I installed mint on I need the lts version ... but I wasn't impressed with mint 13 Xfce. At all. It's flaky and very, very slow for xfce. It doesn't even really look like xfce, which I have running on 2 other laptops. If I had known it uses debian instead of ubuntu I wouldn't have installed it in the first place.

So I installed the mate version ... don't get me wrong, I like mint. That works much, much better. But it's still slow. Slower than windows 7 starter ( :shock: ). And, yes, I reduced the swappiness.

My solution? I installed xfce 4.08 on the mate version with synaptic. Better. Much better. It has the speed it should. I highly recommend it.
Dude, I am a little lost here. LMDE (Debian base) doesn't have a numbering system much like like the main Mint releases. If memory serves the number for the LMDE version is like 201204. Editions Like Mint 13 and Mint 14 are always the Ubuntu base ones. So if you were having problems with the Mint versions of XFCE I would suggest you take a look at the LMDE version. Good Luck
spaceman

Post by spaceman »

Interesting opinion piece. I used Lxde and found it like operating a dead fish: not massively rewarding. Speedy? Well that really depends on the underlying architetcure methinks. Lubuntu is neither faster, lighter nor prettier than Xubuntu. Plus the version I used had no click animation for panel launchers so I had no feedback on whether I had clicked or missed...half a dozen slow opening apps all opening together is not my idea of time well spent.

That said I wouldn't run Linux Mint on my Acer Aspire One, but I tried Lubuntu, Xubuntu and erazed them both quickly in favour of Vector, sorry it uses Xfce. If your PC, like mine has more grunt than than my netbook can I suggest Linux Mint MATE - now there's a heavy duty DE. If your PC is from the dark ages and not much more powerful than my netbook I suggest you resign yourself to Puppy Linux, VectorLinux or the excellent antiX M12.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

After reading this piece (not because of), I installed Linux Mint Nadia Xfce on my htpc and don't regret it. Works fine... better than Mate in one important way: I can define custom actions in Thunar, the default file manager. Saves me having to install Thunar in Mate. Mate's fine and dandy, just a bit unfinished at present. I had installed Linux Mint Nadia Mate first on my htpc and was watching a video when the screensaver kicked in. That's the precise point I put the Linux Mint Nadia Xfce dvd in and wiped the drive clean of Mate. For htpc, Xfce is really the solution. Flexible enough to do a lot of stuff, yet nimble and conservative with system resources.

I didn't throw the Mate dvd away, though. I mailed it to my brother. I think Mate is a good intro to Linux for people who only use Windows. Mate looks better, but Xfce can do more and just works better without the rough edges of Mate.

Linux Mint 14 Xfce is "the best ever release" for anyone who has htpc in mind.

Try it, you'll like it.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Well, I wasn't interested in LMDE as suggested. This is the 3rd computer I've installed xfce on. I like it.

And, sorry, but xfce 4.8, installed through synaptic over ubuntu 12.04 based mint, runs rings around the mint xfce edition. There is just no doubt in my mind there.

To the last poster ... you may like thunar better than what came with mate, but try dolphin. Yes, it imports a slew of dependencies, but dolphin is extremely powerful. It will speed you up much more than the extra program footprint will slow the machine down. I will not use any other linux file manager anymore. Actually, I kind of think thunar stinks myself.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

But one more thing. While Mint has done a few things wrong, it did one BIG thing right.

It works fine on a cedarview machine after installing the drivers with synaptic, which xubuntu won't do without a lot of configuration. And ... probably in my case ... re-compiling the kernel, since I don't think the cpu could be pae equipped if the instruction set is 64 bit compatible.

And, if ubuntu won't work with cedarview without all that, I don't know if I trust it to maintain the proper kernel version for those drivers. Which mint is doing.

So, while I'm not crazy about the mint xfce edition, I'm quite happy with this machine running mint.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

I have tested many versions of Linux Mint XFCE, and I can say that anywhere near Linux Mint 14 XFCE is "the worst ever release" ..... Nothing is further from the truth. I dare say that Linux Mint 13 and Linux Mint 14 XFCE are the two best versions of the story with this desktop. Works great !!!!

I remember they were still irregular Linux Mint XFCE 8 and 9 ..... If you are looking distributions that work excellently with XFCE, I particularly recommend 4: Linux Mint, Xubuntu, Manjaro and Fedora Spin XFCE. Best regards.-
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Hoser Rob wrote:Well, I wasn't interested in LMDE as suggested. This is the 3rd computer I've installed xfce on. I like it.

And, sorry, but xfce 4.8, installed through synaptic over ubuntu 12.04 based mint, runs rings around the mint xfce edition. There is just no doubt in my mind there.

To the last poster ... you may like thunar better than what came with mate, but try dolphin. Yes, it imports a slew of dependencies, but dolphin is extremely powerful. It will speed you up much more than the extra program footprint will slow the machine down. I will not use any other linux file manager anymore. Actually, I kind of think thunar stinks myself.
I know Thunar is limited in capability, it just happens to be better than Mate's file manager, which can't seem to do custom actions, a huge disadvantage. Thunar works ok, about as well as Windows XP's Explorer, and it seems fast--I transferred 1.6tb in 3 hours on one of my machines, not a shabby performance. I could wish there were more custom actions built-in to Linux Mint's Thunar, such as "Edit file as root," which I find handy. Thunar is a competent file manager, but I can readily imagine that another one might be even better.

I will install Dolphin, but if I like it, then it is likely I will go with KDE for my desktop. I think a good scenario would be KDE for desktop, Xfce for htpc, and Xfce for my old laptop.

I have not tried Xfce 4.08, but have not really noticed any slowness in 4.10, maybe because my motherboard and cpu are relatively modern. I like to upgrade my hardware. Ebay makes it easy, because there are always people wanting to buy old hardware, leaving little reason for hanging on to that old motherboard or cpu. It is a good way to solve a Linux hardware problem: sell the difficult part on Ebay and replace with a Linux-friendly part. I would prefer 4.10 of Xfce over 4.08, because reviews said there were a lot of bug fixes.

To the other poster, I tried Xubuntu 12.10, but Linux Mint Xfce is better--either Maya or Nadia is better. Xubuntu made a lot of unfortunate, that is to say strange, design decisions, which take a lot of time for the end user to undo. Also, in 12.10, the splash (plymouthd) crashed all the time until I finally disabled it. I would get a crash report daily.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

This has to be the worst ever mint release i have seen problem after problem if you manage to get it to boot properly you are lucky and when it does boot sometimes the sound doesnt work why do the develpoers insist on doeing so many releases they do the rich mans release's which is cinnamon and mate and kde and then the supposed light xfce.
Well not the worst ever , but believe the underlying problem is the Ubuntu base 12.10 is not the best base to build upon. It was very buggy, though the bugs are being worked out.
why not stop complaining and just stick to the LTS version 13. It's very good stable and you won't have to upgrade to another version for many years.
Or there is always the LMDE version which is a semi rolling release and should not have to be reinstalled for a long time. But if your complaint is you want bleeding edge software your just going to have to bite the bullet and help with the de bugging your self.

Enough ranting. Lifes too short and there are a zillion distros out there choose one that suites your needs.
:D
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Xfce”