SOLVED Brother HL-2270dW

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
psal217050

SOLVED Brother HL-2270dW

Post by psal217050 »

I recently install Linux Mint 13 (Mate) on my PC with a dual boot (Windows XP Pro). I just purchased a new network printer, a Brother HL-2270DW, which has Linux drivers. I downloaded the drivers and had package installer install the network CUPS package that was available but I cannot get Linux to recognize the printer.

I did the LPR and CUPS both from some instructions I saw:
sudo apt-get install apparmor-profiles
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch
sudo apt-get install apparmor-utils
sudo aa-complain cupsd
sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model
sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/cups /etc/init.d/lpd
sudo dpkg -i --force-all hl2270dwlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i --force-all cupswrapperHL2270DW-2.0.4-2.i386.deb

The only line that didn't work was "sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/cups /etc/init.d/lpd"

Since I am new to this, any help would really be appreciated.

SOLUTION:
It took awhile for the localhost:631 to see the printer then I changed host on Socket to IP address and it printed.

Pete
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jwedekin

Re: SOLVED Brother HL-2270dW

Post by jwedekin »

Ok... What?

Please help me. I have a similar printer (Brother HL-2170W) that is wirelessly networked. I have been printing from it perfectly on Linux Mint 11, but the upgrade to Linux Mint 13 has left me clueless as to why I can't get this to work.

Can you give me a noob's guide on how to get this working? (I can find terminal, and I know how to type...that's about it).

Josh
jwedekin

Post by jwedekin »

Ha!
I figured out what you meant.

In the Printer panel under "Administration", I right-clicked on the printer I added (but could not get to print anything), and then selected "Properties".
Under Settings is a field called "Device URI". It has some goofy text in it like: lpd://BROTHER2170WAEAE23123/BINARY_P1 (not the exact text, but something like that).
I changed it to: lpd://192.168.1.10/BINARY_P1 and hit "Apply". Now my printer works. (I got the IP address for my printer by logging into my router and viewing the IP address for connected devices).

Now my question is, why didn't linux mint just do this for me? Why do I have to be searching through forums and spending hours on trial and error just to get a common network printer hooked up and working? LInuxMint didn't use to be like this.

Josh
bataradena

Post by bataradena »

I've fighting this for over an hour, your method was so easy compared to other methods.
A BIG THANK!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”