can't connect to wired brdbnd net lm13 cinnamon[solved]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
opensam

can't connect to wired brdbnd net lm13 cinnamon[solved]

Post by opensam »

i installed mint 13 cinnamon in dual mode. Everything was working fine including the wired broadband DSL connection , when i decided to use my laptop as wireless hotspot.
I made a wireless ad-hoc network and put it in share with other computers mode in ipv4 settings...
i uncommented the "net.ipv4.ip_forward=1" in sysctl.conf file and BANG ...nothing happened.

Long story short hotspot didn't work and i haven't been able to access internet since then from lm13. :( (there are a couple of connections a DSL and an Ethernet & both seems to connect flawlessly)

yes i've commented that portion and i i've deleted previous connections and made new ones.

Anyways any help would be really appreciated.
Thanx in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
opensam

Re: can't connect to wired broadband internet mint 13 cinnam

Post by opensam »

hmmm 3 days and no reply.....

ok so i guessed there is a dns problem. i tried all sorts of dns but nothing happened.
anyways the output of

Code: Select all

nm-tool
my connection settings
dsl and ethernet:

and the o/p of tracert of to youtube
is attached

again the connection is working fine on lm11 and windows 7.
any help wud be appreciated
opensam

Post by opensam »

the remaining two:

what are the last 2 ips.?????(hops 2 and 3).
billmc

Post by billmc »

You are trying to do the same thing that I've just described in another post

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=12068

You need to set your laptop up as a router using IPTABLES, in order to have the traffic from the wireless network forwarded to the ISP router.

You show 2 wired networks, with 2 different default routes. A default route is the route packets take, when they don't know where else to go. If you have more than one default route, they still don't know where to go, so they don't go anywhere. Only establish ONE default route. This would be on the network that goes to your ISP connection.
opensam

Post by opensam »

dude wat u said makes sense but i m using lm11 now, it has 2 default gateways and as u can see it is working fine.
can u elaborate more on iptables..i don't speak french.
cheers
billmc

Post by billmc »

Regarding the 2 default gateways. I guess if its working for you fine; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". But the purpose of a default gateway, is when every other direction doesn't work -> always go in this direction. Now if you have 2 always go in this directions, the problem becomes which one of the two do I always go to. (This does not depend on which flavor of Linux you use. This is a function of networking (think TCP/IP protocols) itself. You'll find the same thing in Windows, BSD, OS X, etc. Any system that uses TCP/IP.)

IPTABLES is the packet filtering system in Linux. Another way of thinking about it, its the firewall. It can be quit complicated, therefore able to do many things. I'd suggest you begin with the man page, "man iptables". From there, Google and maybe a couple of good books on the subject.
opensam

Post by opensam »

will do mate
thanx
opensam

I DID IT!!!

Post by opensam »

so i was browsing networking section of forums.linuxmint.com and i came across this post which said something about resolv.conf file in etc directory.
I edited this file from:

nameserver  192.168.1.1
nameserver  192.168.1.1
to:

nameserver  8.8.8.8
nameserver  8.8.4.4
and now the internet connection works just fine.

P.S. don't mind me sayin that I did it
billmc

Re: can't connect to wired brdbnd net lm13 cinnamon[solved]

Post by billmc »

Great to hear you got things working, BUT.

The /etc/resolv.conf file id the file that will contain a list of nameservers. DNS, Domain Name Server (services). Forgive me if I'm speaking French again, I flunked that in school and can never tell when I speak it or not. Also forgive me if I take a simplistic approach, because I don't know what you do/do not know about this stuff.

Computers work with numbers, not words. People do better with words. Each computer has a numerical address; using IPv4 it consists of 4 octets, which you're used to seeing as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

A Domain Name Server, will translate a name (words), into numbers the computer can understand. The /etc/resolv.conf file, conatins a list of numerical addresses for your computer to ask "What's the number address of http://www.foo.com? that server will then send back a numerical address, so that your computer can find it.

It used to be, that you edited this file directly (and you still can, depending on which distro you're using and/or where you stick the lines in the file). But here is what the begining of my file (from Ubuntu 12.04) says:
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 is your loopback address, it is an internal address of your computer.

You may just find, that the changes you've made, will not be there the next time you boot. Also unless those addresses you put in there, are valid nameserver addresses, you may discover that you can't go anywhere on the network (internet or otherwise) unless you use a numerical address.

More reading for you,
"man resolv.conf"

Hey, if this stuff were easy, then anybody could do it, right?
opensam

Post by opensam »

Forgive me if I'm speaking French again, I flunked that in school and can never tell when I speak it or not. Also forgive me if I take a simplistic approach, because I don't know what you do/do not know about this stuff.

dude u misunderstood me!!!. That link u posted earlier redirected to a post that was,i think, in french. And as for my knowledge , i m certainly not an expert but i do know what a DNS is. I never mentioned one thing, during that blackout period i could still access net by editing the /etc/hosts file. That's why i was certain that it was a DNS problem.

I m not ungrateful . My internet connection is working fine now. So thanx a lot.
billmc

Post by billmc »

Forgive me if I'm speaking French again, I flunked that in school and can never tell when I speak it or not. Also forgive me if I take a simplistic approach, because I don't know what you do/do not know about this stuff.

dude u misunderstood me!!!. That link u posted earlier redirected to a post that was,i think, in french.
Sorry about that. You're right, that link is in French. I musta grabbed the wrong link by mistake.

As I said before, if you've got it working, then all of this is a (sorta) moot point.

Return to “Networking”