Installing without DVD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintgum

Installing without DVD

Post by mintgum »

Hello, I downloaded the ISO and mounted it on a virtual drive using daemon tools, the installation was successfull and it created a dual-boot option, so when I restart my computer, I can choose from either Windows 7 or Linux Mint, however I still havent completed the installation by pressing Install Linux Mint inside the Linux Mint desktop, because some people said it cannot be done and I must have a DVD, so I dont even want to try to install it because I don't want to damage my Windows. Now, I have found an old hard drive so I deleted Linux Mint from Windows and now I want to install Linux on a separate hard drive, but again, I need help , I don't want to damage Windows, is there a guide to installing Linux Mint on a second hard drive without damaging Windows and leaving it as main drive, and, what happened if I pressed on Install Linux Mint without DVD inside?
thanks all sorry this post is too long :idea:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
legit imposter

Re: Installing without DVD

Post by legit imposter »

maybe you can use a flashdrive as a substitute 1 GB is more than enough for most.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
try it out see if it's what you're looking for
mintgum

Post by mintgum »

legit imposter wrote:maybe you can use a flashdrive as a substitute 1 GB is more than enough for most.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
try it out see if it's what you're looking for
Hi, my motherboard can't reboot from a pendrive, so I wanted to know about using no media at all. I already got into Linux desktop without any media (DVD or pendrive) but I didnt want to complete the installation (by clicking Install Linux Mint on the desktop) because people say it won't work, are you sure that it won't work? I mean I am already inside Linux and without using DVD, what do you think will happen if I try to complete the installation? :?: :shock: :?:
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

It Will Install in your Windows Partition not seprate partition or another 2nd Hardrive.
It Will not be a unique and seprate OS installation. But rather installed within the Windows partition.
Installing in Window partitions means making sure you have enough space.
Also if your Windows partition fails or becomes corupted So also your Linux Wubi install

If my Windows partition becomes corrupt or no longer boots to OS I can still boot to my Linux partition which is separate.
Ask about this when I first started here.
Wubi (mint4win) and triple boot Thread
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=115021
Last edited by Orbmiser on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
mintgum

Post by mintgum »

Is there a way to do the primary installation inside Windows ( like I did ), but when inside Linux, click Install Linux Mint, and choose the second hard drive, and somehow the data of the Linux installation will be transfered from the Windows drive to the empty hard drive ? also, why people say I can't mount the ISO image if I already did and it worked? (well, only the installation inside Windows, never tried to actually complete it inside Linux desktop)
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Mint4win/Wubi creates a large root.disk file on the NTFS partition specified by you. It uses this root.disk as the container which holds the Linux filesystem, ext4 as a rule.

And there is NO Workaround if You want to install on 2nd separate linux dedicated partition or 2nd hardrive then you cannot use the Wubi method to do it. If it could be done that way. We wouldn't need a Live DVD or usb key to boot from.

But am no expert so if someone else has a way for him to do it please chime in.
mintgum

Post by mintgum »

In the user guide they say you can get an image for CD and not DVD, where do I get an image for CD?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

mintgum wrote:you can get an image for CD and not DVD
the latest releases of mint don't have cd editions anymore: mint maya 13, mint nadia 14 and lmde don't ship in cd format.
http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

Return to “Beginner Questions”