upgrading versions

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
forumisto

upgrading versions

Post by forumisto »

Hello

I installed a Mint-Lisa, then I upgraded to Mint-Katya, both based in gnome2
In Lisa version exists gnome3 and mate, is a good idea to upgrade my computer to Lisa? Will it works fine?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
veggen

Re: upgrading versions

Post by veggen »

When you say "upgrade", do you mean you do the actual package updates or do you install the new OS from scratch? Doing the former between versions with such huge difference, while in theory should work, sounds like a pretty bad idea to me. If you're thinking about installing from scratch, just try it from the live disk first and see how it works for you.
forumisto

Post by forumisto »

I modified the /etc/apt/sources.list file, then
apt-get update and
apt-get upgrade
veggen

Post by veggen »

Ok, that's what I thought. I really wouldn't recommend trying to upgrade further. Gnome 3 and Gnome 2 can not exist together, and it's hard to say in what state your system would end up. I'd backup everything of relevance, and install Mint 14 from scratch. Or not touch anything at all, depending on your reasons for upgrading.

Return to “Other topics”