Not shutting down.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gregbzh
Level 1
Level 1

Not shutting down.

Post by gregbzh »

Hello,

Having recently switched from Ubuntu to LinuxMint, I'm a happy customer! I just have one problem are. I can't shut down my computer. I click Log Out, the Shut Down, but nothing happens and I need to manually stop my PC (not good). Has anybody else experienced this problem and is there a solution out there somewhere?

Thanks for any help given.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Not shutting down.

Post by caf4926 »

What version of Mint
What Desktop

Does it allow a reboot?

Try:

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown now
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
gregbzh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gregbzh »

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Mint 14 XFCE and no I can't reboot either. I'll try using the command line.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

are you using EFI boot?
might it be something similar to this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=120482
mintman112

Post by mintman112 »

gregbzh wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm using Mint 14 XFCE and no I can't reboot either. I'll try using the command line.
I too have the same problem i dual boot with Bodhi 2.1.0 but when i click reboot in the logout options in linux mint xfce 64bit it doesnt even get to the grub screen it just hangs on the acer screen but if i reboot from bodhi there is no problem.
gregbzh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gregbzh »

Sorry, you guys have lost me with EFI and BODHI.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

gregbzh wrote:Sorry, you guys have lost me with EFI and BODHI.
They mean UEFI
UEFI is meant as a replacement for the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) firmware interface

Bodhi is a Linux distro
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
gregbzh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gregbzh »

Thanks for the replies. I'm currently using sudo shutdown now which is working, despite being a bit of a pain. Hopefully some bug fix or something will help. Cheers.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

gregbzh wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm currently using sudo shutdown now which is working, despite being a bit of a pain. Hopefully some bug fix or something will help. Cheers.
Merry Christmas.
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1113
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

sudo shutdown now
Yes I believe you need sudo rights to do a shutdown or reboot. A regular user needs to log-off first and then shutdown/reboot in the greeter.

Easiest way is to give the user sudo rights. (but may have security risks.) Also I believe the new 4.10Xfce log-out properties (on right click icon in panel) has two(2) log-out listed, 1 is the xfce log-out dialog the other a direct log-out.

J.Jay
gregbzh
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Not shutting down.

Post by gregbzh »

Easily solved. I just added the log out/shutdown button to the taskbar and voila! I no longer need to use a terminal to shutdown. It just seems strange that it would always hang when trying to logout or shutdown from the menu though.

Consider this solved.

Return to “Xfce”