Firefox package download failure [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lthvwx2

Firefox package download failure [SOLVED]

Post by lthvwx2 »

I wanted to reinstall Firefox, so I uninstalled it using the Software Manager and tried to install it again. That's where the problems started. Uninstall was fine, but it just wouldn't reinstall! The bar went to 16% and cut to complete (and Firefox hadn't been installed). I did a little digging online and found that uninstalling Firefox from the Package Manager (and then installing it again) could help, but that didn't work either! When I try to install the firefox package on Package Manager, I get this message:

W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... _amd64.deb
404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... .1_all.deb
404 Not Found

What can I do? I'm almost considering reinstalling Linux Mint, but given the luck I've had reinstalling things so far, I'd probably break my computer!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sheepgazer

Re: Firefox package download failure

Post by sheepgazer »

Try an install from the command line.
Open a terminal session Menu > Terminal

Clean out the current packages

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get autoclean
Install Firefox

sudo apt-get install firefox
mank_in

Re: Firefox package download failure

Post by mank_in »

firefox-globalmenu_16.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1_amd64.deb is not available in that repository . current file version is :
firefox-globalmenu_17.0.1+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1_amd64.deb

refresh your repository first :

sudo apt-get update
or
in synaptic : hit reload button

mint update also refresh the repository
lthvwx2

Re: Firefox package download failure [SOLVED]

Post by lthvwx2 »

Great, hit "Reload" in Synaptics and it worked a charm. Basics... :/ Thanks so much.

Return to “Beginner Questions”