Asus EM350 Mint: Microphone hardware disabled

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mycelium

Asus EM350 Mint: Microphone hardware disabled

Post by mycelium »

Hi all

I've ripped off XP from my low end Asus EM350 and replaced it with Mint. It's outstanding.
The single problem is that the in built microphone doesn't work. It is not listed as supported hardware.

I ran

Code: Select all

inxi -A
which returned
Audio: Card: Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24

Code: Select all

aplay --list-devices
returned
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC272X Analog [ALC272X Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Any ideas? I have looked at solutions on other threads for other Asus machines. They point to various ALSA packages, though I'd be flying blind and wouldn't know what package to get.

Cheers in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Asus EM350 Mint: Microphone hardware disabled

Post by remoulder »

Have you tried looking on the input tab?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mycelium

Post by mycelium »

Hi sorry for the huge delay.

The input tab doesn't offer any help. :/

Any other ideas?

Thanks
igor83

Post by igor83 »

mycelium wrote:Hi sorry for the huge delay.

The input tab doesn't offer any help. :/

Any other ideas?

Thanks
First of all, congratulations for making a sensible choice with Linux Mint over Windows XP, which does not play HD video very well at all on the AMD E-350 chip without a lot of effort on the part of the user. I know because I tried, and I have ASUS E35M1-M's in two desktops here, one Windows XP (at present) and one Linux Mint Nadia Xfce. What version of LM are you running? You know the E35M1-M is about a year old now, not that old at all. Might be a good idea to run a recent Linux kernel.

Return to “Hardware Support”