Search for files in Linux Mint 14 (Cinnamon Edition)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jarble

Search for files in Linux Mint 14 (Cinnamon Edition)

Post by jarble »

Is there any way to search for files in Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon Edition? I still haven't figured out how to search for files from the Start menu.
Nefter

Re: Search for files in Linux Mint 14 (Cinnamon Edition)

Post by Nefter »

I use CTRL+F while browsing files in Nemo (default file manager) to find files by name.

If youre familiar with terminal, you can use "find" command to specify what exactly you want.
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nick Payne »

I use gnome-search-tool. With it you can perform filename searches within a directory structure, and also add further options such as search for specified text in the files and by size, date, etc.

If it's not already installed:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-search-tool

Post by 3.14159 »

I typically use "locate" in a terminal to find things. I'm lazy that way.

localhost ~ $ locate ./ smb.conf
/etc/samba/smb.conf
/etc/samba/smb.conf.master
/etc/samba/smb.conf.old
/usr/share/doc/nemo-share/examples/smb.conf
/usr/share/man/man5/smb.conf.5.gz
/usr/share/samba/smb.conf
/var/lib/ucf/cache/:etc:samba:smb.conf
In any case, good luck!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Nick Payne wrote:I use gnome-search-tool. With it you can perform filename searches within a directory structure, and also add further options such as search for specified text in the files and by size, date, etc.

If it's not already installed:

sudo apt-get install gnome-search-tool
Don't know if anyone's interested but after you do what Nick Payne suggested you might want to try this:

[1] Create a file in the nemo-scripts folder:

gedit $HOME/.gnome2/nemo-scripts/Find
[2] Add this contents:

#!/bin/sh
exec gnome-search-tool --hidden --contains= --path="$(echo $NEMO_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS)"
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but everything you put in code tags now induces leading spaces when you paste. Make sure all leading spaces are removed from this script.

EDIT: Left off kind of an important step: Make the file executable:

chmod +x $HOME/.gnome2/nemo-scripts/Find
[3] If you have Nemo open close it and open it again.

Now go to a folder > Right Click > Scripts > Find. If I did this right it should open up gnome-search-tool to that folder so you can limit your searchs to specific folders through nemo.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
elcico

Post by elcico »

Now (linuxmint 17) you can also use the package called tracker, that also allows text search inside files.
Namastè _/\_

Return to “Beginner Questions”