LM14 Mate won't accept password

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aviceda

LM14 Mate won't accept password

Post by aviceda »

Recently upgraded my PC with a new motherboard and a new SSD (unfortunately shop added win7 on it as SDA). Unfortunately now when I install LM14 Mate (on a different drive/partition) my login won't work, I installed Ubuntu 12.10 on the same partition and that was successful, I realise that this could be UEFI issue but it seems strange that I can login in to UB but not LM. I put LM's grub2 on the same drive as it was installed (not the MBR or SDA) to avoid conflict with Windows (which I require for work purposes, sadly) Also I can still login to a previous installation of Linuxmint 13 on another partition.
Can anyone help, as I would like to move away from the commercial-ization of Ubuntu! :(
Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LM14 Mate won't accept password

Post by xenopeek »

From what you wrote I assume you were able to successfully install Linux Mint 14, and when you select to boot it you do get to the login screen. But when you give your username and password, it says it isn't correct. Right?

So perhaps you had CAPS LOCK on or something during installation, and the username or password you think is yours for Linux Mint 14 isn't correct. I suggest you try resetting your password: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 87#p621487
aviceda

Post by aviceda »

Thanks Vincent, but when I just enter u/n and p/w, it appears to accept them but then comes back to a blank login screen.....have re-installed several times but never get past this login screen. Have tried changing session but still get the same error.
Tom
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That's a different issue; you probably have some graphics card from Nvidia or AMD? Try booting with the boot parameter "nomodeset" added for Nvidia, or "nomodeset xforcevesa" for AMD (add them without the quotes). You can add the boot parameter by in the GRUB menu not pressing enter to boot Linux Mint, but pressing the 'e' key instead. Then add the needed parameters on the line that starts with "linux". If that helps you log in successfully, open Software Sources from the menu and go to the Additional Drivers tab. Here you can install another graphics card driver, which is most likely needed and the solution for your issue.
aviceda

Post by aviceda »

Thanks Vincent, that seemed to be the issue, I added nomodeset to the grub menu with the edit facility, however after booting the screen-resolution is so wrong that I can't access the menus....is there a way of accessing the bash-terminal with a keystroke and what should I run?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Try pressing Alt+F2 to open the run dialog, and then run:

Code: Select all

software-properties-gtk
Or if you want to open a terminal, run instead:

Code: Select all

mate-terminal
The software-properties-gtk should open the Software Sources program. If needed, you can press Alt+F7 to move a window if the title bar is outside of your screen. (After pressing Alt+F7 either move with the mouse or with the keyboard cursor keys; click the mouse to end the move action.)
ChefPa

Post by ChefPa »

If anyone else is interested I had same problem with 14/Nadia also, but with a twist. In addition to user/pass issues, also had some 'login loop' problems on a 2nd install attempt with v14. Tried both Cinnamon and Mate, same results on both. On last attempt at install, thinking I had fix in hand for a possible nvidia issue (nomodeset), the computer name / user name / pw (not certain what screen is officially called) setup got real buggy. Computer name field was generating 'name already in use on network' (or similar), even when I tried name options nowhere close to anything that is or has been used prior. After several attempts I decided to go back to 13 Mate and it's working fine. Really wanted to give Cinnamon a try this time, but it can wait til later...

Not asking for a fix, just want to share in case it might help with a patch/fix down the road.

System info: New build, dual boot Mint/W7
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
Intel Core I7-2600K Sandy
CORSAIR DDR3 1600 32GB (4 x 8GB)
MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti)
Intel 120G SSD - 320 Series
WD Black 2TB
Lite-On iHDS118-04
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

Return to “Installation & Boot”