Making jump from windows 7 to Linux Mint 14 full-time

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sennaria

Making jump from windows 7 to Linux Mint 14 full-time

Post by Sennaria »

and leaving windows behind!!

I have to say..I am in love with Linux mint 14. I have already duplicated a lot of my windows environment (I'm a graphics artist who uses gimp/inkscape, website administrator/designer and virtual assistant. I use aptana 3 studio, filezilla, and my wacom create tablet - so these are my most important programs. I have a myriad and a ton of others but can do without any that may not transition over). I am taking a day or so to verify any other programs, but those are the one's that would put me out of work if I didn't have them. I have done this on an older computer I have with no issues whatsoever and am finding it while, very different, it is easily adjusted to and using it full time and no dependancy on windows should not prove to be that difficult. I have only a bit of prior Linux experience from a few years back.

Anyway,

I am ready to leave windows completely. So I am going to install Linux Mint 14 on my main computer which has the following specs:

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 931 GB
Disk partition (C:) 888 GB Free (918 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 2 GB Free (13 GB Total)
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GT 420
Total available graphics memory 4095 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 2048 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 2047 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.5936
Primary monitor resolution 1024x768
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz

It's an HP Model HPE-510t
64 bit operating system

So I had just a few questions if I could get them answered beforehand....

Should I go with a linux 64 bit or does it matter, if not can I stay with the 32-bit..what are the advantages of a 64 bit over a 32 bit if any in linux?

I am unsure from my research if Xampp will work in linux? Some of what I found was really old..I don't see it in the software library...or is there another that I could use to build locally before uploading to websites?

I had gotten a Logitech K810 Illuminated kb for Christmas (this is not a deal breaker but would be a pity if I could not use it), it's a bluetooth device that switches between 3 devices, say..two cpu's and a phone or whatever combination with one kb. Has anyone gotten this to work in a linux environment?

I had one issue on my compaq install of Nadia, and that is when going into the "My Computer" and trying to open the harddrive I was getting a could not mount error. I posted the details here. This happened on both attempts of installing (the first time I didn't partition and did it again so I could practice partioning in the /swap, /boot, /home and /root. (the question is here as there has been no response to it http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=121102.
My main question about that is, is it something to concern myself with as it is accessible via terminal, file browser etc..? If not then I have no issue disregarding a click on a picture to get to my harddrive.

I think those are the main questions...I use wireless on my wacom (haven't connected it wirelessly it is wired into my linux right now, but don't foresee issues with it, wireless headphones, wireless mouse, kb but everything has set up so easily on the old computer I don't see why it wouldn't be the same on my newer one (which is still a few years old).

Other than being sure to back up ALL data, pictures, bookmarks, etc onto a dvd so I don't lose my files, is there any particular advice when making a final jump and leaving windows for good? (something I've wanted to do for years?) I do alot of work in Excel and the open office equivelant but from what I understand, Libre as well can open these documents.

Thank you in advance for any input, advice, comments etc that this may receive.

-senn
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Catbuntu

Re: Making jump from windows 7 to Linux Mint 14 full-time

Post by Catbuntu »

I just can answer some questions...
Should I use 64-bit?
Yes, if you have more than 3GB of RAM.
Will xampp work?
Yes. Although on Linux it's called lampp. On 64-bit systems, it won't work by default. But installing ia32-libs, which are some useful 32-bit libraries, will make it work. You can see it on the Daily Linux Tip i wrote today here. You can get lampp here.
Sennaria

Post by Sennaria »

Thanks that is a huge help!

I saw some posts about 32 bit programs not working on 64 bit linux...is this so, and does it limit the offerings by very much? I am not sure exactly how many programs I run right now that are actually 32 bit as they are compatible on windows. Although I have a feeling that surely I can find comparable offerings of anything that may not transition.

So thank you again.

Found answer to here...for anyone else who might wonder... http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2211
Catbuntu

Post by Catbuntu »

Sennaria wrote:Thanks that is a huge help!

I saw some posts about 32 bit programs not working on 64 bit linux...is this so, and does it limit the offerings by very much? I am not sure exactly how many programs I run right now that are actually 32 bit as they are compatible on windows. Although I have a feeling that surely I can find comparable offerings of anything that may not transition.

So thank you again.

Found answer to here...for anyone else who might wonder... http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2211
All the 32-bit programs should work if you have installed the ia32-libs package. But there may be some exceptions, but I'm not sure and I don't think so :)
Sennaria

Post by Sennaria »

awesomesauce! Thank you for your response Catbuntu. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”