<Solved>Upgrade from Cinnamon 1.4 to 1.6: Linux Mint 13

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wond3rboi

<Solved>Upgrade from Cinnamon 1.4 to 1.6: Linux Mint 13

Post by wond3rboi »

Hello all,

I am using Mint 13 Maya Cinnamon 64 bit. I had originally installed yesterday, and the update manager popped up on its own in the bottom right corner. After playing around with PlayOnLinux and failing to get Diablo3 or Counter Strike: Source working correctly, I decided to just reinstall, because I had tried a ton of things to get both of those two games working, and I didn't know how much I had changed.

However, after reinstalling, the Update Manager did not pop up automatically in the bottom right corner as it had before. I tried going from Menu -> System Tools -> Administration -> Update Manager, and installed all updates, but my desktop still seemed out of date compared to what it looked like before. When I tried to take a screenshot via Terminal to show you all what it looked like, I got the following response:

Code: Select all

andrew@andrew-desktop ~/Desktop $ gnome-screenshot -d 4

** (gnome-screenshot:3050): WARNING **: Unable to use GNOME Shell's builtin screenshot interface, resorting to fallback X11. Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.Shell was not provided by any .service files
andrew@andrew-desktop ~/Desktop $

As a result I had to go to Menu -> Accessories -> Screenshot to take this:
unupdated_cinnamon.png
The desktop I previously had looked like the one displayed here: http://helpsite.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... esktop.jpg

I have now reinstalled again, and I'm waiting for Update Manager to pop up by itself, because when I updated manually last time, it did not fix my desktop. When I call

cinnamon --version
, I get Cinnamon 1.4.0, but pictures of my desktop do not look the same as pictures of this version of Cinnamon online, such as here: http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Fe ... nnamon-1.4.

I'd greatly appreciate anyone's help, and thank you in advance for helping this newbie :D .

P.S. Here is my inxi -Fc 0 (I believe this gives a full system description?)

andrew@andrew-desktop ~/Desktop $ inxi -Fc 0
System:    Host: andrew-desktop Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   Mobo: Intel model: DZ77RE-75K version: AAG39010-302
           Bios: Intel version: GAZ7711H.86A.0039.2012.0426.1522 date: 04/26/2012
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-3770K CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz 3: 1600.00 MHz 4: 1600.00 MHz 5: 1600.00 MHz 6: 1600.00 MHz 7: 1600.00 MHz 8: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 6819 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: vesa,ati (unloaded: fbdev,radeon) Resolution: 1600x1200@0.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device aab0 Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
           Card-2: Intel Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82574L Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e 
           IF: eth1 state: down mac: 00:22:4d:9a:8d:40
           Card-2: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:22:4d:9a:8d:3c
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 180.0GB (3.1% used) 1: /dev/sda INTEL_SSDSC2CW18 180.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 152G used: 5.3G (4%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 17.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 178 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 690.8/16019.7MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wond3rboi

Re: Update Manager Doesn't Show Up in Bottom Right Corner

Post by wond3rboi »

I tried updating maunally again and the desktop still looks the same.

I tried manually upgrading to Cinnamon 1.6 by using the following tutorial: http://ubuntupop.blogspot.com/2012/09/u ... nt-13.html, but this still did not work.

As the tutorial asks, I tried to edit the sources.list file by calling

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
, and adding the line

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ maya main upstream import romeo
. However when I call

sudo apt-get install cinnamon
, I get the following response:

andrew@andrew-desktop ~/Desktop $ sudo apt-get install cinnamon
[sudo] password for andrew: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
cinnamon is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 21 not upgraded.
instead of

mint@mint ~ $ sudo apt-get install cinnamon
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  gir1.2-folks-0.6 gir1.2-telepathylogger-0.2 gir1.2-telepathyglib-0.12 gir1.2-gee-1.0
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
  gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0 libmuffin0 libnemo-extension1a muffin-common nemo nemo-data python-lxml
Suggested packages:
  eog python-lxml-dbg
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0 libnemo-extension1a nemo nemo-data python-lxml
The following packages will be upgraded:
  cinnamon libmuffin0 muffin-common
3 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 427 not upgraded.
Need to get 8,656 kB of archives.
After this operation, 17.3 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
as seen in the tutorial. Calling "cinnamon --vesion" still responds with Cinnamon 1.4 instead of 1.6.
cwsnyder

Re: Update Manager Doesn't Show Up in Bottom Right Corner

Post by cwsnyder »

Backup any data you have not saved already to someplace off the hard drive if you want to save it.

This time when you go back to re-install, format both / and /home, especially if you have a separate home partition.

This is the only way to make sure that you have your Mint settings back to original conditions. Unfortunately, it will also erase all personal data which you have placed on the hard drive, so BACKUP YOUR DATA BEFORE PERFORMING THIS PROCEDURE! :!: :!:
wond3rboi

Re: Failure to Upgrade from Cinnamon 1.4 to 1.6: Linux Mint

Post by wond3rboi »

This is a brand new computer I just built, so erasing the entire harddrive to reinstall is fine, but I thought this is what I did. I selected "Replace Linux 13 Maya with Linux 13 Maya", the second option in the installer. I don't know how to format both / and /home. I'm installing from an iso i created on a USB drive, which I boot from to reinstall Linux Mint 13. Thank you for your help, but unfortunately I'm not experience enough yet to understand exactly how to execute what you're saying.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

While you are booting from your USB stick, open the System menu and select Gparted. Use Gparted to select your existing partitions and delete them.

Make sure you click the Apply checkmark after selecting them for deletion. When you have completed this step, go back to installing LM13. It won't ask you to install over or with LM13 anymore. There won't BE any LM13 to install over.
wond3rboi

Post by wond3rboi »

I was installing LM13, should I install LM14 instead?
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

I had to edit my post, I forgot to look back and see you were installing LM13.
wond3rboi

Post by wond3rboi »

Okay thanks for the clarification. When I open Menu->System Tools, however, I don't see anything called Gparted. If you look at the picture of my desktop in the first post, it'll show you what I see in Systems Tools. Will I only be able to see Gparted when I boot linux from the USB in order to install it, or should I be able to see where it is now as well?
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

You will probably only see Gparted when you boot from your install thumb drive. It is needed to install, but not for normal operation.

Also, we are attempting to erase Mint. That is not going to work well if you are still within your installation. That is sort of like cutting off the limb of the tree you are sitting upon when you are 30 feet up from the ground. If you succeed partially, there will be much more damage to you and the tree. You won't be fully successful.
wond3rboi

Post by wond3rboi »

Yea that makes perfect sense; I was just trying to make sure I knew where the app was located before I tried to reinstall. I'll be doing that now, and I'll post the results when I'm done.
wond3rboi

Post by wond3rboi »

I tried to delete the partition, but now my desktop computer (using my laptop atm) is stuck applying pending operations in Gparted. Here's a picture I took with my phone. It hasn't moved for about twenty minutes:

http://imgur.com/5jK72
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

I notice you left a partition un-marked for deletion, as well.

It should probably be scrambled enough that when you interrupt it by powering down or pressing a reset button that you should be able to do a fresh install when you reboot from your thumb drive.
wond3rboi

Post by wond3rboi »

Yea it wouldn't let me select the linux-swap partition for deletion, so I just deleted the one. I'm rebooting now and will attempt a reinstall.

Edit: when attempting to reinstall linux, it still sees the old installation of LM13. It looks like nothing was done to the old installation, and I still can't select /dev/sda2 --> /devsda5, which is the linux-swap. I tried deleting /dev/sda1 (can be seen in the previous picture) and it deleted immediately. Do I need to find a way to delete the linux swap, or should I just reinstall now?
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

What you really need to delete is the /dev/sda2 extended partition. If you are successful in deleting that, I think LM 13 should install properly.
wond3rboi

Post by wond3rboi »

Okay! After a little research, it seems linux-swaps must be disabled by right clicking and choosing "swap-off." I was then able to delete the linux swap & /dev/sda2 - extended drive. I am now reinstalling...hopefully I can get a proper install now! Thanks so much cwsnyder for sticking with me throughout this process. I've been trying to set up linux for three or four days now :? .
wond3rboi

Post by wond3rboi »

All right it's working! I updated mint and installed my graphics card's proprietary driver using additional drivers and I've gotten the old desktop back. Thanks for the help!

Return to “Beginner Questions”