Graphics ok LiveCD, only 640x480 after install..?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fripster

Graphics ok LiveCD, only 640x480 after install..?

Post by fripster »

Hi all,

I am a relative newbie in Linux and have been trying very hard to get the graphics working on my Amilo L6825 from Fujitsu Siemens. It works 'out of the box' from the LiveCD (Linux Mint 14 Nadia, Mate version) but once installed on the HDD, i get only 640x480. Have been scouring the internet for how-to's, have learned all the ins and outs of writing your xorg.conf files (very good learning though...) but STILL the box won't work at the normal 1024x768 which it so happily does from the CD. The output of the Inxi -G command looks like this:

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~/Desktop $ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A
mint@mint ~/Desktop $
which is fine. but WHY does this not work from HDD? What is the difference?? (Oh yeah: ddcprobe finds lots of things, just not the EDID data of the panel (it gives an 'edidfail' fault message)

I sincerely hope you folks can help me!

Best regards,

Fripster
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fripster

Re: Graphics ok LiveCD, only 640x480 after install..?

Post by fripster »

bump.. anyone?
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

The last time i tested mobo with i845 graphic working is with LM12 LXDE ( Mesa 7.11 ) : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0241&f=151
I think i845 is not supported in MESA 9.0 . You can try downgrade mesa version like this one : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=120296
But i never try downgrade MESA . use with your own risk. And i think the best option is install LM12 LXDE.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

I may have to write a How To: Fix your graphics resolution problems.

In the latter versions of Debian/Ubuntu/Mint, X has been upgraded and pretty much ignores your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. If your graphics system leaves you with too low a resolution, you have to use xrandr (from the x11-xserver-utils Debian package if you don't already have it installed). Xrandr is a command-line only utility, but don't run away looking for another alternative. Why?!? This stuff works, most of the rest of the advice on the Internet doesn't work. /etc/X11/xorg.conf can still fix problems with multiple monitors and input devices, but does $%^& for fixing resolution problems.

First, figure out what mode line you need to get the resolution you need to get the native resolution of your display using cvt. Look at man cvt for instructions on how to use it. Enter xrandr on a line by itself after you have done this. This is to find the alphanumeric name of the display that is listed as 'connected' to your monitor. Use that information with the structure found in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution with the additional information that on the last line where it says something like xrandr --output LVDS-1 --mode 1024x768 , change it to read xrandr --output LVDS-1 --gamma 1:1:1 --mode 1024x768 if xrandr's output complains about not being able to read the gamma from your display.
fripster

Post by fripster »

thanks for the tips... been working with xrandr already to no avail but will give it another try...
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

You have an intel driver , so you could use an xorg.conf file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) with the resolution you want
--use vesa mode and set the resolution and frequency of the monitor..
--the intel-X11 driver option may also be a choice, that should provide vesa settings and would be in the package manager program selections available: you could check the programs available for the X-server or Intel and see what exists..

A good guide to xorg.conf settings and various driver file installs..
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg
  • Monitor settings
    Getting started...
  • --you probably don't need to use their choice of conf name (monitor.conf), but instead can use a standard xorg.conf
    • I think that so far autconfig for X11 server settings ignore an /etc/X11/xorg.cong file unless it is there (exists (you do have to create one, since Ubuntu later Linuxes do not do so by default (ubuntu/Mint..))

Return to “Beginner Questions”