Tokk the plunge into Arch

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
McLovin

Tokk the plunge into Arch

Post by McLovin »

Well I was talking someone on another post about Arch, and I did it, I took the plunge and installed it, took about 5-6 hours to get a fully wokring Gnome GUI, and EVERY THING has to be compiled by hand, kind of like Gentoo, but it is very interesting, very different from Mint, or Debian in general, no type of graphical installer, all compiling, pretty quick though. I'm gonna give a go for a few weeks, and see how it is, but Mint will ALWAYS be my main distro of choice.
Although I think I would like to get the source code for the mint apps from Clem and see if maybe I can make a Sidux Gnome Mint, or a Debian Mint of my own, just for personal use and learning, hmmmmm, Clem???........... :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Tokk the plunge into Arch

Post by Husse »

This is what our homepage states about source
If you want to access their source code you can use the apt-get source command. If you can't find what you're looking for please write to root AT linuxmint DOT com and we'll provide the source to you.
Andy Mack

Post by Andy Mack »

I tried Arch recently and I got stuck at at the first step, getting the internet to work hahaha, I'll wait till I'm a bit better with linux before trying it again.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Husse wrote:This is what our homepage states about source
If you want to access their source code you can use the apt-get source command. If you can't find what you're looking for please write to root AT linuxmint DOT com and we'll provide the source to you.
Thanx, Ill try get the source and maybe make my own Debian Mint, Arch forums is one of the rudest places Ive been to yet, they act like you should know everything about Arch right out the gate, and treat you like you're an idiot if you don't, so I'm gonna try something else, and then try to Mintify that.
Husse

Post by Husse »

That's not the way to "run" a forum - we have all been newbies - I'm only a year into Linux...but many years with Win (even DOS)
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

First off, pacman uses binary packages as well, not compiling, but it is fast and an awesome tool. I was surprised to see that there were a GUI tool written i Java for it, but I never considered to install it..
But it is sad to hear that Arch has an elitist forum, in fact, I am surprised, since the newbie installation guide on their wiki was exceptionally well written and helpful. But Arch is a fun distro and fun to tinker with, especially since their boot scripts are well documented and easy to configure to your needs. What I especially like about Arch is that you get a system that you is exactly what you want (after some post installation tinkering), without all the work a Gentoo installation requires.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Fred

Post by Fred »

I spent quite some time on the Gentoo forums. It is a different world. To survive there you have to develop a thick skin and learn how to bite back when the need arises. Since Arch is a source distro I would suspect some of the same kind of attitude.

I must say though, there a lot of very knowledgeable people in the Gentoo forums. If you can take the heat, you can learn a lot. Usually once you have shown that you aren't a quitter, you are willing to work hard, and basically they can't run you off, somebody will take you under their wing and mentor you. But you do have to prove yourself and there is a somewhat elitist attitude to get past.

Fred

Return to “Chat about Linux”