Another New Mint User

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oakview

Another New Mint User

Post by oakview »

Not unlike other stories, I cut my teeth on Linux starting with Ubuntu. Been using Ubuntu since Feisty Fawn 7.04, but when Ubuntu went with Unity as their default DE it just wasn't my cup of tea. Went distro hopping and have settled on Mint with the Mate DE as best for my needs. Really liked Cinnamon but my older computer didn't always play nice with Cinnamon's features. Mate, however, does what I need it to do, is configurable enough, and seems pretty darn stable after using it on a separate partition for a while.

Just updated Mate via the backports to 1.4 and everything is running smoothly. Thanks to the Mint dev team for putting out such a nice product, and for not hopping on the touch screen style bandwagon. Soon as I get a computer with enough horsepower to handle Cinnamon, I'll be moving to that DE. It appears to have a really bright future. Lots of good, friendly advice on these forums too!

Another happy Mint user from California, USA. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Another New Mint User

Post by Orbmiser »

Welcome from Portland,Or. and yep like you also cut my teeth on Ubuntu back in 2006-2007.
But had to leave for windows for my photography works as Linux was still lacking in that department.

Came back a couple of months ago to check out Ubuntu and like was flabbergasted by the Hole :-) Unity Thing.

Didn't have to search far to find Mint 14 Cinnamon and felt like a comfy fit. Started checking out apps.
And found darktable & RawTherapee for images and of high professional functioning apps. Also Lightworks for Video Editing soon to be released Beta. Makes for some interesting times ahead.

So far getting there and am slowly weaning off Win 7. Tho still need Lightroom for a couple of things for Clients sake.

Congrats on coming back and finding Bliss again in Linux.
oakview

Post by oakview »

I feel for you having to still deal with Windows. I'm fortunate in that I don't have to depend on anything requiring Windows programs. I ditched Windows completely in 2006 and have not looked back. Not that Windows is a really bad thing, fact is Microsoft has done a lot of good things for the computing world, but their predatory practices and policies have gotten to be a bit over the top. Lots less expensive to run Linux too, both equipment and software. I'm constantly amazed at the effort developers put into a product that's open source and usually doesn't cost a dime. Great bunch of folks working their butts off in the Linux world.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep more what the world needs is Cooperation & Sharing.

I couldn't do the coding part. But donated some of my photos that were used in Ubuntu 10.04,10.10 & 11:04
And now donating images to the Mint-Art.org for others to use as wallpapers.

My little way of giving back to the community. And try to help out others with my limited knowledge of Linux.
Tho always trying to learn new things in linux everyday.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Hi oakview and welcome to the Linux Mint Forums. :D
oakview

Post by oakview »

Hi right back to ya sammiev. :)
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
Catbuntu

Post by Catbuntu »

Welcome!
Have a nice time here and feel free to ask on the forums or on the IRC chat.

Catbuntu (another happy Mint user)
jesica

Post by jesica »

:mrgreen:

Good day and welcome to Linux Mint,

Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”