Noise in Speakers (UNSolved)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RonnyS

Noise in Speakers (UNSolved)

Post by RonnyS »

I have a mini stereo connected to my system to provide the sound.
After installing Mint, I noticed I have a medium loud crackle/buzz
noise in my speakers like there is a ground issue. But I don't believe
I have any ground issue as when win7 is running, I do not have this
issue at all.

No noise problems while running the LIVE disk version. Only after
install. I tried a few different versions of Mint and they all do it.

Funny thing is... when I install any RPM distro, this does not happen.

Anyone experience this and if so, what have you done to resolve it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wyrdoak

Re: Noise in Speakers

Post by wyrdoak »

RonnyS

Re: Noise in Speakers

Post by RonnyS »

wyrdoak wrote:Have you tried this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/PositionReporting
Thanks! I used the Fix-2 line in the config file and it worked! :D
RonnyS

Re: Noise in Speakers (UNSolved)

Post by RonnyS »

Actually even after the fix, it re-started making the same noise.
Took a couple of days... strange... but started again.

I need to figure this out or I will be forced to switch to a different
distro. Not really wanting to do that, though.
budulater
Level 1
Level 1

Post by budulater »

Make sure your cell phone isn't near your computer turned on.If I happen have my cell in my pocket turned on any where near my puter,my speakers make all kinds of intermittent weird noises.
pickles99

Post by pickles99 »

Could be from the amplified speaker system connected to your PC....that has its own power source.

Using headphones do you get the same crackling? Had a similar problem with a Mac Mini that was getting errant power feeding back from a printer and the USB cable from it to the Mac.
RonnyS

Post by RonnyS »

No, it's not from any cell phone nor the speakers... because sometimes it doesn't do it and I never move the speakers.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Are both your computer and the audio system connected through the same breaker/fuse in your breaker/fuse box, or are they on different circuits? If they are on different circuits, you could be getting a ground related noise feeding back from your HVAC system, refrigerators or other motors which kick on automatically.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Check with another speaker or headphone , if the problem is still exist , i am sure the problem is soundcard configuration
post the output of :

Code: Select all

inxi -F
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

I read of a noise issue from users of the Chrome browser.....?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
MartinaNeumayer

Post by MartinaNeumayer »

I had something similar with strange noises, but only in Firefox and only when I scroll the webpage down.
Problem was on the motherboard -> exactly old and damaged capacitors.
After replacing them, FF is quiet :)
RonnyS

Post by RonnyS »

Well, not sure about others issues with noise in speakers... but I have two computers and it did it on both computers! But I installed the latest NetRunner OS and no more noise! This OS is in its infancy, but I really think it will be one that will zoom to the top!

However, I recently downloaded Mint 14 KDE and installed it on my HP Slimline Pavillion PC and for some weird
reason... it no longer makes the noise. But installed it on a Dell Optiplex 790 and BAM... noise! So NetRunner OS
will continue to power that PC. Can't wait for NetRunner to grow... it's a good one!
poultry411

Post by poultry411 »

I have a Dell Inspiron base version, had the same issue. (2014 build laptop) By editing the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file, and adding "options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1" fixed the issue. I had grabbed a USB sound card to see if it was hardware, but now that I think of it, Mint treated the USB card differently (correctly), so that test could have easily misled me to think it was faulty hardware. Thankfully, I found this thread before giving up.

Return to “Other topics”