LMDE x64 display shifted to the right and installation hung

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
manjibu

LMDE x64 display shifted to the right and installation hung

Post by manjibu »

I have a problem when installing Linux Mint Debian 64bit.

I downloaded and burned "LMDE 201204 MATE/Cinnamon 64-bit" to a dvd blank. Then I boot the dvd from my notebook. I had confirmed the MD5 of the ISO is correct.

Then I found these problems:
-When the linux mint live has loaded, I saw the screen shifted to the right off screen several pixels, then the off-screen part show up at the left position. If you don't understand, just imagine your screen perform a "circular right-shift" several pixels.
-Second problem, the installation process hung the entire OS, even my keyboard and mouse are not responding. This happened after several minutes since installation process started.

I tried again and same things happened.

My notebook is Lenovo Z480.
CPU: Intel core i5 3210M
RAM: 8GB
VGA: NVidia GT640M

This is my partition scheme:
sda1=ext4 (/) 200GB (I install LMDE at this partition)
sda2=ext4 (/home) 499GB
sda3=linux-swap 1GB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tcc

Re: LMDE x64 display shifted to the right and installation h

Post by tcc »

I have had the same problem!!

I have a Samsung 350 v5c with Intel Ivybridge onboard graphics, i5 2.5ghz, 6gb ram

It will be interesting to see if there is a fix to this problem - I might conisder getting an 'older' ISO to see if the problem occurs with that too.

UPDATE
Tried installing LMDE201109-gnome-64bit.iso
md5 sums okay.

Installed fine, yet sound not 100% good.
I allowed mintUpdate to update the system, and it just broke it!
I think that my system wasnt pointed at the correct mirrors, maybe.

Anyway.... doesnt work so I just reinstalled LM14 main edition.
manjibu

Re: LMDE x64 display shifted to the right and installation h

Post by manjibu »

hi tcc,

I remembered that when I booted the dvd for the first time, I got this looping error messages:

udevd[122]: timeout: killing '/sbin/modprobe ...

But in next try, I didn't get it. Did you get that too?

Several days after I gave up the Linux Mint, I booted clonezilla live cd (x64) on my laptop and I got the same error too. I googled and I found out the solution is to turn off the acpi by passing this boot option:
acpi=off

Then it came to my mind, how about if I do same thing with the Linux Mint? I tried it and guess what, the screen-shifting problem is gone :). But I can't confirm if the installation will freeze or not, because I had already installed windows :D and I'm reluctant to spare a partition to try the installation.

I don't know why some x64 linux distro has problem with acpi, anyone can explain about this?

Return to “LMDE Archive”