How To - Simple File Sharing in Mint

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Re: How To - Simple File Sharing in Mint

Postby PcMojo on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:16 pm

I understand what you are saying about what the man pages say about it being enabled by default, but I'm seeing something different on my end. Before, when using any smbpasswd command I would get errors (as if there was no account). After enabling the accounts, the commands will work and I won't get errors. Also, I couldn't see my linux share from Vista. Now I can see it and it even asks me for a network password. The only change I have made was enabling the accounts. Perhaps the man pages are dated, or I have a different version than you, but I am definitely seeing some results by enabling the account. I still can't connect though, Vista is prompting for the connection ID and password and it won't accept either of the Samba IDs and passwords. I made the Vista a dual boot, so I may boot up in Ubuntu and see if it is (yet another) Vista issue. I used to be pretty good with networking XP clients, but Vista is just horrible!

***update*** I have made a connection to Vista, but that's from the Vista side, I turned on "client folder and print sharing" in Vista and now I can see the Vista share. It kept asking me for my name and password on the mint machine when I would click on the Vista folder. It had three options for remembering the password, one was immediately, the next was until logout, and the last was forever. I must have done it 20 times choosing "logout" and it would just reappear. When I chose "forever" I could then see the folder share. I just wanted to add this in case anyone else was having the same issue. I still can't see mint from Vista though. I've restarted the samba services & rechecked all your instructions on the smb.conf file and can't find anything wrong.
Mint 15 with Cinnamon on top of a Dell D620 laptop.
PcMojo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby altair4 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:49 pm

** The "-a" option adds and enables the unix user to the samba password database. It's always done that ( well, at lest since 1999 ). You do have to have the Unix user to begin with however. If I try to add a user named blzebub to the samba password database I well get this error:
sudo smbpasswd -a blzebub
[sudo] password for altair:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to add entry for user blzebub.

Why? Because there is no local user named blzebub on my Linux system.

** Selecting remember forever vs any of the other options has no affect on actually accessing the share at that moment.

** If you can't see the Mint machine from another machine on your LAN you might want to go through the checklist:
Samba Browsing Problems Checklist: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=88146&start=0
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby PcMojo on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:03 pm

I went through that checklist yesterday, I went ahead and double checked everything but still have the same problem. Part of the sharing problem might be that as soon as I finished the mint share setups I went to the Vista pc and started the process of enabling client print and file sharing. Maybe Ms and Linux are fighting for control of the network! Now I can access Vista's public folder from Mint, but I still can't get past the logon from Vista to Mint. All I wanted was a way to share files between pc's, and I have that now so I'll probably just undo the Mint changes and use the Vista share. Thanks for all of your help!
Mint 15 with Cinnamon on top of a Dell D620 laptop.
PcMojo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Cerule on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:43 am

I found these instructions very helpful. It's about how to mount a remote SSH folder using SSHFS. Simple, fast and efficient. http://howto.blbosti.com/2010/09/mount- ... d-and-gui/
Cerule
Level 1
Level 1

Postby altair4 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:45 am

Cerule wrote:I found these instructions very helpful. It's about how to mount a remote SSH folder using SSHFS. Simple, fast and efficient. http://howto.blbosti.com/2010/09/mount- ... d-and-gui/

And you would post that comment in a HowTo about Samba because:

** You didn't know this was a HowTo?
** You wanted to make enemies quickly?
** You wanted to increase your post count?

As far as the last one is concerned I can tell you that increasing your post count has no rewards. I was under the impression that after a certain number of posts I was eligible to win one of these: http://www.linuxmint.com/store_mintbox.php

Sadly, that was not the case.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Previous

Return to Tutorials