Fedora outperforms Mint. Can that be?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
langstracht

Fedora outperforms Mint. Can that be?

Post by langstracht »

I have consecutively installed Mint and Fedora on a Toshiba Satellite C650. I tried Fedora because, with Mint, the wireless download speeds were abysmal - more often than not measure in bytes/s.

However, with Fedora installed I got upwards of 1 Mb/s.

Too bad I don't like the Fedora 'look and feel'.

In any case I would LOVE to return to Mint ... but I need it to work.

Anyone have any idea how to accomplish that?

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Fedora outperforms Mint. Can that be?

Post by xenopeek »

"Toshiba Satellite C650" isn't a laptop model, but a laptop series. A model would have another identifier after the C650 identifier, like "Toshiba Satellite C650-15X". Though there are some specifics for this series on LinLap and that says you would have an Atheros wireless chip there is of course no guarantee that Toshiba used the same chip in all the models for this series.

You should be able to get your wireless working fine, probably, by asking for help here. You will of course need to provide some details. Like, if you boot from the Linux Mint installation DVD / USB, share the output of:

Code: Select all

inxi -SGx
If you have inxi on Fedora, helpful to run the same there and share that also.
langstracht

Re: Fedora outperforms Mint. Can that be?

Post by langstracht »

Thank you for pointing out the limits of my knowledge about my inherited Toshiba.

You are, of course, absolutely correct. In fact it is a Toshiba Satellite C650 PSC-12C. Whatever that means.

The output of inxi -SGx is:

System: Host mint Kernel 3.0.0-12-generic i686 (32 bit gcc 4.6.1) Desktop Gnome (Gtk 2.24.6) Distro Linux Mint 12 Lisa
Graphics: Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org 1.10.4 drivers intel unloaded: fbdev,vesa Resolution 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11 Direct Rendering Yes

That said, I uncovered the solution to my problem elsewhere so further assistance is unnecessary.

I appreciate the responses already received.

Return to “Networking”