Samba Automount...

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Samba Automount...

Postby Fugazi on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:02 pm

I can automount drives on start up, but I'm failing to automount drives on the network on startup.
I want to automount (for example) the music folder from the computer Trotsky on the computer Gorbachev and tried to do so with various lines in fstab, quiting when I'd made this partial mess:

Code: Select all
smb://trotsky/Music   /media/trot_music   cifs   guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode   0   0

I get the error:

Mounting cifs URL not implemented yet. Attempt to mount smb://trotsky/Music

Any ideas?

ps, I know this has been solved many times before, but the methods either don't work on Mint 11 (age of machine) or there are too many competing methods.
Fugazi
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Samba Automount...

Postby altair4 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Fugazi wrote:
smb://trotsky/Music   /media/trot_music   cifs   guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode   0   0

You are using a sort of hybrid between 2 different ways to mount a samba share.

If you want the classic fstab way then get rid of the leading "smb://". fstab has no idea what that is:
//trotsky/Music   /media/trot_music   cifs   guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode   0   0
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Fugazi on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Changed fstab line to:

//trotsky/Music   /media/trot_music   cifs   guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode   0   0

It now tells me:

mount error: could not resolve address for trotsky: No address associated with hostname

Any ideas?
Fugazi
Level 2
Level 2

Postby altair4 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:57 pm

Can you mount it manually by host:
nautilus smb://trotsky/music

Or by ip address, for example:
nautilus smb://192.168.0.100/music
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby altair4 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:04 pm

Wait,
mount error: could not resolve address for trotsky: No address associated with hostname

Are you getting that error after adding the line in fstab and running "sudo mount -a"?

Or are you getting that error at boot time?
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Fugazi on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Getting it after "sudo mount -a" as I don't want to risk a reboot with an untested fstab (as I've killed installations before).
Fugazi
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Other networking topics