Samba Automount...

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fugazi

Samba Automount...

Post by Fugazi »

I can automount drives on start up, but I'm failing to automount drives on the network on startup.
I want to automount (for example) the music folder from the computer Trotsky on the computer Gorbachev and tried to do so with various lines in fstab, quiting when I'd made this partial mess:

Code: Select all

smb://trotsky/Music	/media/trot_music	cifs	guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode	0	0
I get the error:

Mounting cifs URL not implemented yet. Attempt to mount smb://trotsky/Music
Any ideas?

ps, I know this has been solved many times before, but the methods either don't work on Mint 11 (age of machine) or there are too many competing methods.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Samba Automount...

Post by altair4 »

Fugazi wrote:

smb://trotsky/Music	/media/trot_music	cifs	guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode	0	0
You are using a sort of hybrid between 2 different ways to mount a samba share.

If you want the classic fstab way then get rid of the leading "smb://". fstab has no idea what that is:

//trotsky/Music	/media/trot_music	cifs	guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode	0	0
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Fugazi

Post by Fugazi »

Changed fstab line to:

//trotsky/Music	/media/trot_music	cifs	guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode	0	0
It now tells me:

mount error: could not resolve address for trotsky: No address associated with hostname
Any ideas?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Can you mount it manually by host:

nautilus smb://trotsky/music
Or by ip address, for example:

nautilus smb://192.168.0.100/music
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Wait,
mount error: could not resolve address for trotsky: No address associated with hostname
Are you getting that error after adding the line in fstab and running "sudo mount -a"?

Or are you getting that error at boot time?
Fugazi

Post by Fugazi »

Getting it after "sudo mount -a" as I don't want to risk a reboot with an untested fstab (as I've killed installations before).

Return to “Networking”