Mint 14 Mate: wireless is disabled by hardware switch

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tux-sven

Mint 14 Mate: wireless is disabled by hardware switch

Post by tux-sven »

I installed Mint Mate 14, 64 bit, on a Fujitsu Amilo 1630. It seems to work good BUT not the wiress network!

If I hit the network icon in the panel it says: "wireless is disabled by hardware switch"
The rfkill command don't work. I tried this link: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=79678
I then can see it's possible to switch wireless on/off in software but still it's hardware locked!
The switch above the keyboard seems to work because it lights up and down when i hit the button, but that's not the true.
I think the program that should detect the wifi-button is missing. In Mint 9 however it works "out of the box"!

Can I find the program for detecting the wireless button for download somewhere? :roll:

By the way, this is what I get when I type "rfkill list" in a terminal window:

Amilo-LM14 ~ $ rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 14 Mate: wireless is disabled by hardware switch

Post by Matt267 »

It might be worth downloading and running in "live" mode an older distribution with an older kernal and then try to reactivate the wireless card.

Also, see this topic: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... it=+rfkill

Matt
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

I started Mint 9 Gnome for a live session, and wifi worked all right.
I also tried to stop wifi with the dedicated wifi button, and it stopped
The command "rfkill list" also showed that the wifi was hardware blocked.
Then I started the wifi again with button and tried the command "rfkill list". Now it showed that wifi was not blocked.

I left wifi in position "on" and rebooted the computer. When Mint 14 runs wifi is still off and it stays so... :(

In Mint 14 I have also tried with an USB wifi stick (Belkin) which normally works fine but it also seems to be blocked by the wifi hardware switch.

:roll:
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

I wonder if it's a kernal/drivier issue. Have you tried running Mint13 which has an older kernal?
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

I have tried Mint 10 and it also works fine. Mint 10 Gnome is my great favourite! :D

I am skipping Mint 14 and now installing my dear old favourite... Mint 10 :lol:

Thanks for your try to help me, but i don't want to waste more time at this old Amilo at the moment.
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

Sounds good. Have a great new year.

Return to “Networking”