Pc running slowly especially youtube videos

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
africanlion

Pc running slowly especially youtube videos

Post by africanlion »

Since Linux cant be infected by spyware, what could be causing my pc to run slow. Sometimes i have to refresh a page as it doesnt respond to my mouse abd also youtube seem to freeze up

Help please

My updates are up to date
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Pc running slowly especially youtube videos

Post by xenopeek »

Let's start with you providing some basic information. Please run the following command on the terminal and share the output here. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
And which browser are you using, and did you install your own flash version or are you using the default flash version as provided by Linux Mint?
axel668

Post by axel668 »

you can try Google Chrome, it's much faster, especially when it comes to Flash content
africanlion

Post by africanlion »

Thanks for your reply

africamlion@africamlion-Dimension-5000 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: africamlion-Dimension-5000 Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) 
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   System: Dell product: Dimension 5000
           Mobo: Dell model: 0W5363 Bios: Dell version: A07 date: 11/08/2005
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-HT-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 5985.05 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2992.525 MHz 2: 2992.525 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV370 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Creative Labs SB Audigy driver: snd_emu10k1 port: c8c0 bus-ID: 04:00.0 Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card: Broadcom BCM4401 100Base-T driver: b44 ver: 2.0 bus-ID: 04:03.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 82.0GB (27.5% used) 1: /dev/sda Maxtor_6Y080M0 82.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 76G used: 21G (30%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 0.53GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info:      Processes: 141 Uptime: 2:41 Memory: 833.0/1505.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33 
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Could you run the following command and share the number it gives back?

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor | wc -l
africanlion

Post by africanlion »

xenopeek wrote:Could you run the following command and share the number it gives back?

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor | wc -l

Gave number 2 and only that :o

Btw the pc was running fine till last week and it cant be network as i have just joined a new one and only been receiving service for one week
africanlion

Post by africanlion »

Bump :(
africanlion

Post by africanlion »

Bump bump :mrgreen:
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

my suggestion :
- check kernel message with command dmesg ,and syslog . see for error,fail, and warning
- if you can disable your soundcard in BIOS or your soundblaster is PCI card , try remove it first. After that try to booting , if your computer running faster you can guest the problem is soundcard configuration .
- try update your graphic card with : ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
- try LM13 xfce version, it lighter.
africanlion

Post by africanlion »

mank_in wrote:my suggestion :
- check kernel message with command dmesg ,and syslog . see for error,fail, and warning
- if you can disable your soundcard in BIOS or your soundblaster is PCI card , try remove it first. After that try to booting , if your computer running faster you can guest the problem is soundcard configuration .
- try update your graphic card with : ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
- try LM13 xfce version, it lighter.
Thanks for your reply, can you please explain how i carry out those instructions please. Not very good at Linux :cry:
igor83

Post by igor83 »

africanlion wrote:Since Linux cant be infected by spyware, what could be causing my pc to run slow. Sometimes i have to refresh a page as it doesnt respond to my mouse abd also youtube seem to freeze up

Help please

My updates are up to date
Your second sentence indicates the slowness affects your browser. What add-ons / toolbars you have installed in your browser, and what browser are you using? I'm not a fan of Chrome, but Chrome might be your answer if you're having a lot of problems with Flash pages. Firefox uses an older version of Flash, because Adobe refuses to update Flash for Linux anymore, whereas Chrome has its own implementation of Flash, independent of Adobe. Your hardware may need some of the goodness and bug fixes found in recent updates, and that points to Chrome. I use Firefox myself and have not had any trouble, but I don't watch youtube other than once in a blue moon.

Return to “Other topics”