[SOLVED]How to run mate-settings-daemon on Ubuntu 12.04 Prec

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ajhmint

[SOLVED]How to run mate-settings-daemon on Ubuntu 12.04 Prec

Post by ajhmint »

Hi,

I followed the typical tutorial on installing MATE over ubuntu with apt-get. After a successful install, the icons of files and folders go blank, and the menu icons as well.

The best answer I could get from MATE forums is to modify startup scripts so mate-settings-daemon isn't run as a daemon. But that is a band-aid solution, and doesnt address the problem.

http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=175

I looked into the same file on Mint, and sure enough, your distro runs it as a daemon. So I'd like to know how you got it to work, since Mint comes from Ubuntu, and I am basically repeating the process with Precise and MATE. Somebody here must know why it dies, and what is needed to get it to run properly.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to run mate-settings-daemon on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise?

Post by xenopeek »

Three packages should be installed:
- mate-settings-daemon
- mate-settings-daemon-common
- mate-settings-daemon-pulse

The last package installs a /etc/xdg/autostart/mate-settings-daemon.desktop file that automatically starts it.

If it isn't working for you, see if you can find any error messages. Try to run it from a terminal with:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/mate-settings-daemon
ajhmint

Re: How to run mate-settings-daemon on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise?

Post by ajhmint »

Ok,

I've downloaded other MATE + Ubuntu distros, namely Nota and Piuma (with an i, not the pLuma text editor) and they also have no problem with running mate-settings-daemon as a daemon.

The "/etc/autostart...mate-setttings..." file is already there, but the mods on MATE forums were not giving any answers other then to append --no-daemon to that file. Stupid.

see the thread here: http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopi ... t=175#p712

So I have concluded that Ubuntu "mainstream" version MUST have unity and GNOME3 fully removed before MATE will work properly.

I will have to post my own tutorial on the MATE forums so people can actually get some good advice.

Ultimately, the mate-settings-daemon works on Linux Mint MATE edition because whatever in Ubuntu "mainstream" that is a nuissance, is not running on Mint.

Return to “Chat about Linux”