Gigolo step-by-step configuration needed

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nomko

Gigolo step-by-step configuration needed

Post by nomko »

Hi everybody,

I'm trying tio connect an Mint 14 system and a Lubuntu 12.04 system using Gigolo. But how do i do that? It there some manual available which explains everything step-by-step? OR a website?

Any help will be appreciated as long is helps me (and maybe others?) and solves my problem!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Gigolo step-by-step configuration needed

Post by cwsnyder »

If you are setting up to share files between two Linux installations, you need to set up NFS shares and you probably want to use this wiki: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Using Gigolo to Mount Remote Samba Shares: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=52144

The title is somewhat of a misnomer since Gigolo can be used to connect to other machines using a variety of protocols.

EDIT: Well, a variety of protocols except NFS :wink:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
nomko

Post by nomko »

altair4 wrote:Using Gigolo to Mount Remote Samba Shares: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=52144

The title is somewhat of a misnomer since Gigolo can be used to connect to other machines using a variety of protocols.

EDIT: Well, a variety of protocols except NFS :wink:
Which protocoll do i have to use and how do i set up gigolo? I'm really a noob with this.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Based on your latest series of posts it appears to be samba. Gigolo will display samba hosts automatically ( assuming samba itself is set up correctly ) when you click on the network tab. Or you can use the "Connect to Server" facility in Gigolo to connect to it by ip address, name, or even avahi ( i.e., hostname.local ) is you wish.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I have a question for you. Are all these machines yours? I mean are you the only user?
nomko

Post by nomko »

altair4 wrote:I have a question for you. Are all these machines yours? I mean are you the only user?
Yes, they are all mine. And both machines are connected to a Cisco Router/modem. See attached pdf.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Well, the only reason I asked the question is that you posted another topic about Samba which I tried to answer but you never responded. So I don't know if what I suggested didn't work and now you are trying Gigolo. If that's the case it most likely won't work either. Gigolo facilitates samba connection it can't fix the underlying problem you are having - if you are still having a problem.

If you are the only user among all these machines you have another option. Since this topic is about Gigolo I can show you how to connect to and if you want automatically mount the other machine at login.

On Mint14:
[1] Install the following package:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install openssh-server
[2] Make sure avahi is running:

sudo service avahi-daemon status
If it is not running start it:

sudo service avahi-daemon start
On Lubuntu:
[1] Install Gigolo and set preferences as I described in the HowTo above. [ STEPS 1, 2, and 4-Set gigolo to start at login ]
[2] Make sure avahi is running on that system:

sudo service avahi-daemon status
If it is not running start it:

sudo service avahi-daemon start
[3] Then In Gigolo go to Actions > Connect and fill in the blanks this way:
nomko1.png
I don't know if that's the correct hostname of your Mint14 box so correct it if it is not.

You should be prompted for passwords and such and then allowed access to your machine

While still in Gigolo you can right click the "SFTP for nomko on nomko-mint14.local" icon and select Bookmark. Then Fill it out this way:
nomko2.png
If you want it to automount every time you log into Lubuntu check the "Auto Connect" box.

If all that works then do the exact same things to the other box - On Lubuntu install openssh-server and on Mint14 install Gigolo.

Return to “Networking”