Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lizbeth

Re: Getting fglrx to work on sid/liquorix

Post by lizbeth »

There's always mate aka gnome 2
xircon

Post by xircon »

Before I used Cinnamon, I used to use just compiz as my dm, think I will dig out my old config files and play. Never liked gnome2 but I do like cinnamon and gnome 3 :-)
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

I thought the goal was fglrx drivers to play your game?
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

install mate and fglrx and see if it runs... delete the taskbars and just run compiz? not a bad idea really. i did that before too.
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

right now I'm running the stock fglrx drivers from the repos just to see how they fare. Not bad and they work with the liquorix kernel too. ver 12.6 according the files listed in synaptic.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Might try that later, compiling current liquorix kernel for Arch ATM (I really like Manjaro, it feels so snappy compared to LMDE, perhaps I need a fresh install to compare). Yeh, I had a panel less gnome2 for a while it wasn't to bad, I just renamed gnome-panel to gnome-panel-old.

Steve
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install glx-alternative-fglrx fglrx-driver fglrx-control amd-opencl-icd
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

I never tried arch. I read the installation instructions and and kept going :mrgreen:
xircon

Post by xircon »

Same here :), but this spin-off has a graphical installer of sorts (and I had a spare 20gb partition). I won't say it was easy, I must of tried 3 times, eventually got there with the beta installer. It (Arch) is a bit rough around the edges, needs a decent synaptic type application (pacman-gui is crap!). Pacman itself is OK, still compiling Liquorix, I accidently cancelled it (twice). Am watching a film (Drive 2011) and to swap out of compact mode it is ctrl+c............... :lol: Never compile with guake open!

Steve
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

Was the issue of using the AMD zip/run file to install Catalyst/fglrx 12.10 into an LMDE environment resolved?

I am tentatively planning to purchase a "Radeon HD 7750" graphics card, and would eventually need to chose between using experimental repos to install (version 12.10), or using the zip/run file from AMD to install (version 12.10 or 12.11 beta).

Thanks!
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
Aronax

Post by Aronax »

Hi u are using an Hd5xx try to use the catalyst 9.5

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read Me First

Which cards are no longer supported by ATI Catalyst? The ATI Radeon 9500-9800, Xpress200-1250, 690G, 740G, X300-X2500 (including Mobility RadeonHD 2300, since it is really a DirectX 9 part). See the complete list here. If your card is on that list, you are limited to open-source drivers on Debian Squeeze/6.0 (and later). If you really need the proprietary Catalyst/fglrx driver, you will have to use Debian Lenny/5.0.x and install Catalyst 9-3.
ATTENTION RADEON USERS

NOTE: If you enter your card information on AMD/ATI's driver page, it will offer you the Catalyst 9-3 driver to download. However, the Catalyst 9-3 driver doesn't support X servers past 1.5, and it will not work with Debian versions later than Lenny/5.0.x! !!!SO BE CAREFUL!!! If you tried to install Catalyst on a system with one of these cards, see the 'Removing the Driver' section to restore the default/pre-installed drivers.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Debian
i hope it helps, by the way i dident manageged it either to install the driver proper i have an hd6xx

Return to “LMDE Archive”