How Do I know with Menu Wireless Drivers?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

How Do I know with Menu Wireless Drivers?

Post by Orbmiser »

With builtin in for my 8187 drivers connected and worked for the most part. But found to be less resilient,robust than win7 by about 20%-30% range with wifi disconnecting 2-6 times in a 12hr period.

And nm-applet sucks about auto-reconnect. Asking for already stored password. Clicking on OK doesn't re-connect.
Requiring me to actually go in and manual turn off wifi and back on in app. nm-applet still sucks as remember how unstable and buggy it was back in 2007.

So thought to try and fix my less than stellar default wireless that uses the default 8187 drivers are good just not as good with the losing connections and about 20%-30% signal quality that gives slower loading pages and such.

So menu>Adminstration>Windows Wireless drivers> Pointed to the windows7 64bit.
Got a warning? ndiswrapper not installed?
But then shows installed?
Wireless.png
Is it Installed properly? About the warning was wrapper invoked and used in spite of the warning?
And did the system swap to it?
What do I need to verify that it is using the new installed one?

Thanks but couldn't find any info on using this. As everything is about the term commands.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: How Do I know with Menu Wireless Drivers?

Post by Orbmiser »

Well rebooted now don't have a wireless connection at all. On the Win7 side now.

How to I roll back to default wifi drivers? Or how to fix?
As went to Admin> Windows Wireless and deleted that and rebooted.

And with my downloaded tried this
http://askubuntu.com/questions/178009/h ... ss-adapter
It will open in Archive Manager; extract the rtl8187L_linux_1041.0209.2012 folder to your Downloads folder.

Open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T, and type/paste the following, one line a time:

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` Except this One which how can I do without Wifi connection?

cd Downloads/rtl8187L_linux_1041.0209.2012 But did these steps and rebooted still no wifi
make
sudo make install
Then reboot, and your AWUS036H should be detected. Which it was not?
Any help here on how to resolve the issue?

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r == I Did before so why do I need to do again? Is that needed for above steps?
Or just how to roll back wifi to defaults that doesn't require the internet.
Thanks

Return to “Networking”