Totem fails to inhibit mate screensaver

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Totem fails to inhibit mate screensaver

Postby mchojrin on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi:

I recently upgraded from Mint 11 to 13. I'm using mate desktop. Everything goes smoothly except for the fact that whenever I try to play a video (using both Totem or VLC), even though I selected the option to inhibit the screen saver, it's still active and thus interrupting my video every 10 minutes. I read some posts on this forum and on some other websites but coudln't really get to the bottom of this issue.

I checked and found that I have xdg-screensaver installed but disabled at all times, so... I could really use a hand here :D Thanks.
mchojrin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Totem fails to inhibit mate screensaver

Postby joez on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:15 am

I just installed Mint 13 Maya and am experiencing the same results playing a video with Totem. I didn't experience this problem with Mint 11 or Mint 12.

I just tried installing "gnome-power-manager" and "gnome-screensaver" after reading the following Q and A at http://projects.gnome.org/totem/

Q: Why does my screen go into power saving mode whilst the player is actually playing a video?
A: You will either need gnome-screensaver and gnome-power-manager running, or none of those two. Totem talks to gnome-screensaver to stop the screensaver itself, which in turn talks to gnome-power-manager to avoid going into power saving modes. If none of those are running, Totem will use X directly to disable the screensaver.

Neither was installed previously, but installing both failed to eliminate the problem.
joez
Level 2
Level 2

Postby hyuga on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:50 pm

I am also having problems with Totem in LM13 MATE edition. While playing videos using Totem I can't reposition whithin the playback, if I try to reposition the video freezes. I never had the same problem with LM12
MPlayer works fine, i'm able to reposition videos without problems.

The below is the output from the terminal when I run totem and load a video.

h@h-MS-7345 ~ $ totem

(totem:9663): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Read/writable property 'object' on class 'ZeitgeistDpPlugin' has type 'TotemObject' which is not exactly equal to the type 'GObject' of the property on the interface 'PeasActivatable'

** (totem:9663): WARNING **: Problem inhibiting the screensaver: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name "org.gnome.SessionManager" does not exist

** (totem:9663): WARNING **: Problem inhibiting the screensaver: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Name "org.gnome.SessionManager" does not exist

(totem:9663): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(totem:9663): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(totem:9663): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(totem:9663): Totem-CRITICAL **: totem_object_get_ui_manager: assertion `TOTEM_IS_OBJECT (totem)' failed

(totem:9663): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_ui_manager_remove_ui: assertion `GTK_IS_UI_MANAGER (manager)' failed

(totem:9663): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_ui_manager_remove_action_group: assertion `GTK_IS_UI_MANAGER (manager)' failed
h@h-MS-7345 ~ $

Has anyone found a solution for this yet?
hyuga
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lupa18 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:24 pm

I have Linux Mint 13 and the same problem with totem. Any idea?
lupa18
Level 1
Level 1

Postby toxiccity90 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:29 pm

This issue is still present in linux mint 14. Running MATE 1.4.0 and Totem 3.4.3 . I have tried caffeine and no luck, as from what I can tell caffeine doesn't catch the issue. I have tried the MATE auto sleep inhibitor applet which works, but however isn't a good permanent solution as this results in the machine never sleeping if the applet is set to inhibit all forms of sleep. I need a good medium betweent the two. Something that tells MATE session to sleep if totem isn't playing a video , or playing music like it does with Gnome 3. But at the same time won't enable a screensaver every 5 minutes if I don't move my mouse. Is there any work around this issue??

Also have already tried : xset -dpms & other similar things involving xset with no luck either. I think this could be resolved if mate-screensaver could see that totem is running and that gstreamer is running.
:?:
toxiccity90
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rewind on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:07 am

Just to inform you guys, just found an working solution in here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 41#p667541
Cheers and Happy New 2013! :)
rewind
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hhead on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:03 am

This is a longstanding issue as far as Totem is concerned. I use VLC which doesn't have this problem.. also in VLC you can wind fwd.
hhead
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs