'/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
l3elivE

'/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found

Post by l3elivE »

Hey guys, I just installed linux Mint along side windows 8. Default options.
I am getting this error: "/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod not found"
I did some googleing, I am not confidant enough to reinstall grub 2, but I did try boot repair. Didn't work.
Any ideas? I know this is not a lot of info, please let me know what else you need to help me!
Thanks guys!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wavespot
Level 2
Level 2

Re: '/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found

Post by wavespot »

When do you see this message ? during install or after reboot ?
l3elivE

Post by l3elivE »

After reboot. It seems to install fine!
l3elivE

Post by l3elivE »

Oh, and I am running a UEFI motherboard.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

Are you able to boot? That is, do you just see that message and otherwise everything's OK? If so, I'd just leave it be; it's a minor issue, and debugging GRUB problems (especially on an EFI system) can cause you to lose half your hair.

If you're not able to boot, then you may want to boot with an emergency disc and run the Boot Info Script. This collects a bunch of data on your partitions, filesystems, and boot loaders, and stores it all in a file called RESULTS.txt. Post that file here (between code tags or as a download link) and those of us who understand such things can peruse it and tell you what we think.

More broadly speaking, the directory name /grub/i386-pc suggests a BIOS/legacy-mode install. If you're running on a UEFI-based PC, though, there's a good chance that you'd be better off with an EFI-mode boot loader. You can change boot loaders after the fact, so you needn't re-install to change, but you might want to begin investigating this issue. Consult my EFI boot loaders site for information on the available EFI boot loaders, how to install them, and how to determine which boot mode you're using.

One more point: If you installed a 32-bit version of Ubuntu, it only supports BIOS/legacy-mode boots. There are ways around this restriction, but it's better to install a 64-bit version of Ubuntu, if possible.
PRDG

Post by PRDG »

Hi, I am having the same proble with '/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found. Has anyone figured how to fix this? I've attached boot info script. I just switched over to linux from windows 7 and have no idea how to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
prosario2000

Post by prosario2000 »

Hello, I have installed Linux Mint 16 - KDE - 64 bit version .... and I have exactly the same problem. I also installed it in a Samsung computer with UEFI ... but I deactivated UEFI in my motherboard. So, I have no idea what is going on.

Return to “Installation & Boot”