User Name & Password requested on install disk

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tlcmd

User Name & Password requested on install disk

Post by tlcmd »

Would appreciate some help. I'm attempting to install LMDE (201204) on an older Thinkpad. I've wiped the Windows XP operating system and know the HDD is unformated and clean. I've booted from the LMDE iso-disk and when it gets to the LMDE green home screen, it asks for a user name and password.

HELP!! Please.

Thanks,
tlcmd (aka Dick)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
widget

Re: User Name & Password requested on install disk

Post by widget »

Use mint as the user name and hit enter. This may take you to the desktop, it does for me.

If not and you get a prompt for the password just hit enter as it should be an "open" password. At least that is what has been historically true.

A forum search for this problem would have gotten you that answer.

If it does not work you could reboot, modify the menu entry to boot to recovery (instruction string should simply ask for "single" instead of "quiet splash". Then boot up. Should get a tty log in. You can then play with the user name and password using mint for one, open for the other in various combinations and of coarse as both.

You may get a root prompt (#) anyway if that is the case just create a new user and give it a password, hit Ctrl + d should take you to a user prompt. Sign in as the new user.

Type "startx" and you should be in.
tlcmd

Re: User Name & Password requested on install disk

Post by tlcmd »

Thank you for the info. After exhausting my vocabulary and calling my friends who play golf, I finally found the right expletives to get LMDE installed. I was certain that the info was indeed in the forum, but I couldn't figure out exactly what to search for. I tried several entries into the search and all failed due to the broadness of my parameters.

Now all I've got to do is to put Windows XP into the VirtualBox. Wish me luck.

Thanks again,
tlcmd (aka Dick)

Return to “LMDE Archive”