SiS 671/771 Video - Solution

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Elzigzag

SiS 671/771 Video - Solution

Post by Elzigzag »

I'm coming to Mint 12 from Ubuntu 11.10, just to give it a try, and see that some fellows are having issues with these hideous SiS 671/771 onboard video chips (some tend to add the name Mirage, but I'm not that sure they're all the same).
Anyway the thing is that there's one, let's call it, "solution" which is VERY easy to use when you're a noob.
This solution goes like this:
Just add his PPA and install this driver, reboot, and you're done.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:acasagrande/xf86-video-sismedia
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-sismedia

Here's the link:
https://launchpad.net/~acasagrande/+arc ... o-sismedia
:o How cool is that? :o

I've done it and it just works (at least on Linux Mint 12), no need to sudo-edit anything. Oh please, stop asking for 3D support... there's not such a thing for SiS 671 / 771 in the Linux cosmos.

You should keep in touch with that thread, my suggestion.
Last edited by Elzigzag on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mank_in

Re: SiS 671/771 Video - Solution

Post by mank_in »

I am not using SiS, just curious . Is Cinnamon or MGSE works :?: How about Flash site like youtube :?:
Elzigzag

Post by Elzigzag »

mank_in wrote:I am not using SiS, just curious . Is Cinnamon or MGSE works :?: How about Flash site like youtube :?:
So. you're not using SiS, lucky you!
Youtube works great... MGSE just works, with some minor details that somehow seem to be different in each occasion.
I'll keep on testing.
Mafanca

Post by Mafanca »

Hi. First of all, thanks, but... I did that and when rebooted, everything went black. And it's not that I'm not able to see what's going on, but nothing's going on, the system doesn't even load up. I tried like 4 more times and googled a little, but I guess I'll have to reinstall or forget about the thing. Any ideas though?
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Try add "nomodeset" in boot option

Hold Shift after boot, press "e" to edit boot option , add line :
nomodeset
before line "quite splash"
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

mank_in wrote:Try add "nomodeset" in boot option
There is no kernel mode-setting driver for Sis hardware. nomodeset does not make sense here.

A driver should also be present by default, you can use this in your xorg.conf to use it:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
Driver "sis"
EndSection
However this does not support the latest chips, often leaves you with a black screen and only some old chips have limited 3d (but that's removed in mesa 8 / mint 13).
For 671/771 you could install a driver on Mint 9 (some how-to's are on the forum) but not on later versions. That driver was actually working very well.

Usually sis on linux is just crap.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
ianfm

Post by ianfm »

Elzigzag wrote:I'm coming to Mint 12 from Ubuntu 11.10, just to give it a try, and see that some fellows are having issues with these hideous SiS 671/771 onboard video chips (some tend to add the name Mirage, but I'm not that sure they're all the same).
Anyway the thing is that there's one, let's call it, "solution" which is VERY easy to use when you're a noob.
This solution goes like this:
Just add his PPA and install this driver, reboot, and you're done.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:acasagrande/xf86-video-sismedia
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-sismedia

Here's the link:
https://launchpad.net/~acasagrande/+arc ... o-sismedia
:o How cool is that? :o

I've done it and it just works (at least on Linux Mint 12), no need to sudo-edit anything. Oh please, stop asking for 3D support... there's not such a thing for SiS 671 / 771 in the Linux cosmos.

You should keep in touch with that thread, my suggestion.
Great, Thank you, it works a treat on my ASUSX58C laptop using LM12 and gnome classic or mate.
buffy2309

Post by buffy2309 »

hi,

i have the same problem but im using linux mint 14. is there a solution for this?
noname123

Post by noname123 »

Hi,
I can confirm that this does not work seem to work on linux mint 14 :( Does anyone have a different solution?

Return to “Tutorials”