How 2 Write A Cinnamon Applet Using Hover?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

How 2 Write A Cinnamon Applet Using Hover?

Postby teslasparks on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:04 pm

I am trying to write a cinnamon applet that activates when I hover over the icon just like the Scale applet does. In fact, I took the code from Scale (/usr/share/cinnamon/applets/scale@cinnamon.org) and changed only a few things. It works on click but not with hover. I added a new key to org.cinnamon.gschema.xml and recompiled (took a bit to figure that out). To me the only real difference is in the execution function which is now

Code: Select all
    doAction: function() {
        GLib.spawn_command_line_async('/usr/local/bin/slingshot');
    },

I realize this is kind of terse but are no other real differences except for the name of the hover object and the doAction function. How does one write an applet that utilizes hover?

teslasparks
Last edited by teslasparks on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
teslasparks
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How Write A Cinnamon Applet Using Hover

Postby nomko on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:50 am

Best to ask our highly valued member Bimsebasse: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=70092.
he did a lot of good things for the Cinnamon desktop!

Take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=208&t=96165
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)*Mint 16

Copy.com

I don't need Google, my wife knows everthing!
nomko
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How Write A Cinnamon Applet Using Hover?

Postby teslasparks on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:18 pm

I finally figured it out. NO, I didn't work on it for last 6 weeks. I just came back to it today and looked again at the various parts with new, fresh eyes. I was a bit too literal when I copied the key for hover in org.cinnamon.gschema.xml and preserved the default value of false. :oops: Scale and Expo have check boxes to implement hover in the cinnamon settings (I can never remember exactly where) but anything else would have to be done in the schema and recompiled. Give cinnamon a restart and you are good to go. Now this gives me pseudo-hotcorners an my top panel with launchpad at one end and Scale at the other. Using cinnamon settings I put Expo in the bottom left and, voile, I have 3 hotcorners. :D

I wrote this for launchpad (also known as slingshot sometimes). I would post this but a person would need to also compile launchpad. I use an older version that is more mac-like than the new version that is, well, completely different. I would accomodate any interest in this but, since I have never done this before, would need some instruction in how to post. I am having a problem with the icon (does not display) but I trust that it is just a minor setback.

t
teslasparks
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Chat about Linux Mint